General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HVAC Lights & Bright Lights Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default HVAC Lights & Bright Lights Switch

I'm doing a massive interior overhaul on my 99 Z28... While I have my dash in pieces I want to correct various issues...

#1 The HVAC illumination.. or the lack there of.. I actually got it to work while messing with my stereo wiring (attempting to refit some things) for a short time but after that couldn't get it working again.

#2 Bright Lights Switch. When I pull my turn signal lever forward to engage the bright lights, nothing happens at all. No bright lights, infact the lever does not even "click" to lock in place, it just falls back to normal position.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

#1 - I'd say you just need to trace the wires. They should be on the same circuit with your other gauge lights. Its not uncommon for the bulbs in the HVAC panel to go out, but if it has worked intermittently like this, it sounds like a cut/loose wire or disconnect somewhere. The repair section of AutoZone.com will give you the schematics to you can trace the wires.

#2 - There is a rod inside the column that engages the stalk. It exits the column behind the upper IP panel and then rides down the column to the high beam switch. That switch is bolted to the base of the column and is the thing that clicks. You should be able to take the IP panel off and observe the rod actuating the switch. If its bad, it should be really easy to replace.

Quick Reply: HVAC Lights & Bright Lights Switch