General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blower motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Blower motor replacement

Quick question...what's the best source for a blower motor out there for a '98 T/A?

-Reason I'm asking is because I replaced my heater core this summer and was not happy with the new replacement I got from O'Reilly autoparts. I could totally tell it was not as nice as the original GM that I took out.

-All of the sudden, this week, my blower motor stopped working. It works decent when I start the car but after a minute it pretty much stops working.

-Also, my driver side headlight also stopped flipping up this week. This is another thing I'm going to have to figure out pretty soon before I get a ticket.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you go to the special Firebird section of this forum, there is a sticky thread with the answers to your headlight issues.

I've never had a problem with part store blower motors. They are pretty basic and you should be able to get a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Can you not still get these from GM? Or are you just looking for a cheaper price? I bought one back in probably 2005-06 when I thought I needed it (I didn't, it was just debris in the cage/blades), got it from GM and I don't recall it being all that expensive. Perhaps they've been discontinued since then? I'd have to do some digging to find the part number.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about an AC Delco from Rockauto or something?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you go to the special Firebird section of this forum, there is a sticky thread with the answers to your headlight issues.

I've never had a problem with part store blower motors. They are pretty basic and you should be able to get a lifetime warranty.
Guess I'm going to try and source an ACDelco fan from one of the auto part suppliers.

Thanks again for responding on the headlights. I tried looking on that thread the other day but it's pushing nearly 100 pages and a little overwhelming. This morning I quickly looked at the fuses and found they were good. I tried to get at the motor with my hand to wiggle the connector but it's tight to get in there. Is there a way to manually flip up the headlight?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so on my break on work, I literally took a metal wrench and tapped the top of the electric motor for the headlight and it started working. I'm not sure if that's a qualified repair to post on the firebird headlight thread but it worked. Hopefully it continues to work.

Next on this list is attacking that blower motor. Someone on this forum just PM'd me offering an original blower motor with the fan. Hopefully we can square that deal away and this repairs that issue. I'm driving around Chicago winter with no heat at the moment.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

GM/AC Delco part number for the blower motor used to be 52498954. Looks like that number is discontinued now, but it might help you find an NOS one or a revised part number if GM ever issued one.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:09 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by F-Body International
Ok, so on my break on work, I literally took a metal wrench and tapped the top of the electric motor for the headlight and it started working. I'm not sure if that's a qualified repair to post on the firebird headlight thread but it worked.
This is a common issue and remedy posted in the thread. It seems to have only come up as the cars have come of age and It's the only gremlin with the headlights that we don't have an answer for yet...
Old 09-20-2017, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

This is a common issue and remedy posted in the thread. It seems to have only come up as the cars have come of age and It's the only gremlin with the headlights that we don't have an answer for yet...
I forgot to update this thread again with the proper diagnosis. I for one of the ground wires attached to the body right by the radiator/hood latch is the ground for the whole light assembly. I cleaned it and everything started working great...lights also became brighter
Old 09-20-2017, 04:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by F-Body International
I forgot to update this thread again with the proper diagnosis. I for one of the ground wires attached to the body right by the radiator/hood latch is the ground for the whole light assembly. I cleaned it and everything started working great...lights also became brighter
If it comes back again (I think it might), we actually found the fix for this, where you tap on the motors/hood and the doors work. (The last three pages of the headlight thread cover that progress, now.) There is a problem with cold solder joints on the headlight module board. This issue has been known to the Corvette and 3rd Gen community for some time and it seems that the aging of the 4th Gens is bring the issue to the forefront for our cars, now.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I picked an AcDelco 15-81104 on Amazon for $55 in July, prime shipping too!
Old 10-15-2017, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

If it comes back again (I think it might), we actually found the fix for this, where you tap on the motors/hood and the doors work. (The last three pages of the headlight thread cover that progress, now.) There is a problem with cold solder joints on the headlight module board. This issue has been known to the Corvette and 3rd Gen community for some time and it seems that the aging of the 4th Gens is bring the issue to the forefront for our cars, now.
Here we go again with headlights in this thread. My driver side headlights are very dim so I cleaned the ground that solved all my problems last time but it didn't work this time.

What's the next thing to trace? Are there any other headlight system grounds besides the one next to the air intake box on the radiator support?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Corrosion in the headlight motor connectors. (The headlight bulb wires go through these connectors, also.)

Quick Reply: Blower motor replacement