General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Assistance needed - mechanical issues in Drivers Seat.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Assistance needed - mechanical issues in Drivers Seat.

So basically what has been going on is this...

My driver's seat forward and backward position adjustment control is reversed and also the positions are seemingly reversed as well.

The **** to push it .. if I push it forward, the seat goes backward. If I push it backward, the seat goes forward.

The seat positions... When the seat goes forward, the back rest is literally a hand length away from the steering wheel at its most forward position.. when it goes backward .. it stops at "normal" position .. its also offset and too far to the left.. I'm not sure how this was done..but I need a way of correcting it...

ALSO.. How do I remove the seat itself from the tracks so I can replace the leather?

Old 02-17-2017, 08:01 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Has the car always done this since you got it?

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
ALSO.. How do I remove the seat itself from the tracks so I can replace the leather?
For what you are doing with your car, you TOTALLY need a set of the Factory Service Manuals. They will show you every single procedure (with illustrations) to take the car apart and re-assemble it.

It comes in a 3 volume set. New ones come from Helm, Inc. and if they are out of publication, you can usually get good sets on eBay.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Has the car always done this since you got it?
Yeah it has. I just never addressed it because Im short enough to fit comfortably in the awkward seating position.

For what you are doing with your car, you TOTALLY need a set of the Factory Service Manuals. They will show you every single procedure (with illustrations) to take the car apart and re-assemble it.

It comes in a 3 volume set. New ones come from Helm, Inc. and if they are out of publication, you can usually get good sets on eBay.
I probably do .. I'm too afraid to let most shops touch this car as they tend to make a bad situation worse and rake me for it. I'll look into getting one. I'll probably do it when I next get paid.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:25 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I'm too afraid to let most shops touch this car as they tend to make a bad situation worse and rake me for it.
Then you need these books more than you need any other physical part for the car.

In the past, if I've ever needed a lift and/or the help of a "mechanic", I've also copied the pages from the books so they can't use any excuses for F-ing things up.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Did you figure this out? I was finally able to check my seats last night and it looks like your tracks are mounted to the bottom of your seat backwards.

When the seat is installed in the car, those seat motors should be close to door - not the center tunnel.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you figure this out? I was finally able to check my seats last night and it looks like your tracks are mounted to the bottom of your seat backwards.

When the seat is installed in the car, those seat motors should be close to door - not the center tunnel.
Yeah, after I pulled it out I searched around for images of the drivers seat and what its supposed to look like on the tracks while its de-installed and found that the tracks are installed backwards.. easy fix. I actually havent put the tracks backon yet. Coming closer to completion though. Carpet, rear seats, rear panels and trunk panels are installed and man it looks like an entirely different car. Can't wait to get my gauge cluster in. Just hoping that I didn't damage my headlights in any way (I sent my headlight switch off to have an overlay installed on it.) because the automatic headlights arent coming on when its dark, just fogs and DRL's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Assistance needed - mechanical issues in Drivers Seat.