General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WS6 / F Body Spark Plug Change With Ease

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I agreed with RPM WS6 that it's all relative. Back in the 80's I heard several mechanics complained doing plugs in a C3 vette was very difficult. It took me 45 minutes my first time doing spark plugs in my 72 vette. Compared to my old AMC Hornet with a straight 6 that took like 20 minutes, the vette was a challenge.

My 99TA probably had ten plug changes on the LS1. It usually takes about four to six hours with the shock towers brace. The ratcheting 10mm box end wrench is very useful. I like the 1 inch wobble bar extension better than a stand 1 inch extension. I've always use a torque wrench set to 11 foot pounds to get the tightness correct. Old plug wires are definitely a hassle. The air check valves add some extra annoyance too. Number #8 is always 1-2 hours and blood for me, my hands just don't fit. Last time I nagged my girl friend into threading #8. Took her five minutes. Small hands for the win.

​​​I helped a friend do plugs on a 94 LT1 Trans Am with stock manifolds. That was the hardest car to change spark plugs & plug wires on that I've experienced. It took us at least 12 hours total.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I helped a buddy change plugs on his C320 Mercedes. It's a 3.2L V6 with twin-spark. 12 plugs, 12 coils. They all come in from the outside of the head like on a small block/LS due to 3-valve/cyl. SOHC. Pretty much all the coils have to come off one-at-a-time too, as they are in the way on top of the head. Due to the taller heads, once you get your hand down there, you pretty much can't see anything and the plug disappears into the head as you tighten. We did it in an afternoon. He's lucky I had all the U-joints, wobble bars, and extensions in my tool box.

Quick Reply: WS6 / F Body Spark Plug Change With Ease