General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Charging issues on C5 Vette, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 06:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Charging issues on C5 Vette, need help!

Need some help guys, I have a 98 Corvette that we recently added a Vortech V3 and a 2002 PCM too (did the repin). Its been a bit of a rocky road but we've lined all but one issue out. For some reason I cant get it to charge. So basically what I have so far... I've eliminated the possiblitys of the alternator being bad (we tested it with another known working unit and produced the same results) and as best i can tell all the wiring near the starter appears to be tight and copacetic. When i test my voltages at the 3 pin with key on I'm showing 12v at the small red wire, and the large red wire. I show nothing at the grey. Same goes when i check them at the PCM. (double checked my pinouts and all that appears to be right). We checked every fuse in the car last night and all was well. Just not quite sure where to go next or even what that Grey wire should be showing. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it. I have a well seasoned GM tech helping me and its even got him scratching his head
Old 05-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm about as opposite as can be from a gm tech, but have you checked all the grounds? C5s are notorious for them gunking up and having all sorts if weird electrical issues.

I also recommend posting on corvetteforum.com. lot's of people there with mostly good advice
Old 05-10-2017, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure your grounding points are strong off of the block and off of the negative terminal of the battery to the chasis

Quick Reply: Charging issues on C5 Vette, need help!