General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird speedometer issue

Old 05-27-2017, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Weird speedometer issue

On the 99 Z28 - So note that I'm running a "heavily modified" gauge cluster - it still is a stock F-Body cluster..just with alot of customizations and a digital OLED with a digital speedometer. I don't know if its the cluster yet.. we're doing some testing.. but I wanted to see if I could get some second opinions...

Whats happening is this...
Everything works fine up till about 65 MPH.. Speedometer moves as it should.. no issues at all at or below this speed.. however, above this speed..and ONLY if I maintain it for atleast 5 - 10 minutes.. the speedometer becomes less fluid, and very static.. So it will just jump...between 70 and 75 MPH..without fluidly moving between 71 thru 74.. and likewise if I hit my brakes and slow down.. it will jump between 75 MPH and 50 MPH..without fluidly moving back down..and the rest of its movements at any speed also become static..and sometimes won't even move (needle stuck at 45 MPH while doing 70)..now the weird thing is.. ..if I turn the car off..and turn it back on..everything returns to normal as if nothing was ever wrong..but if I hold it at 70 + MPH again.. the issue repeats...

The digital speedometer (OLED) is hooked up to my radio's VSS wire.. it reads properly at ALL TIMES, it never jumps, always remains fluid.. and so forth.. We first suspected the cluster but we took the cluster out and tried it in another F-Body and couldn't immediately replicate the issue.. we're still testing.. but.. do you guys happen to have an idea as to what may be wrong?
Old 05-28-2017, 06:00 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its probably not the same issue as yours......but my speedometer was doing the same thing. It was a loose spark plug wire. Popped it back on and problem 100% solved.

Maybe disconnect the OLED lead from the radio and see if it fixes that issue.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The ground cable for the cluster is probably over loaded. I would split the ground and run a second cable off of it
Old 05-31-2017, 05:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
The ground cable for the cluster is probably over loaded. I would split the ground and run a second cable off of it
Dumb question but if I were looking directly at the connector for the cluster, which pin is the ground on?
Old 05-31-2017, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Dumb question but if I were looking directly at the connector for the cluster, which pin is the ground on?
Here ya go

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird speedometer issue