General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC Help?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Help?!?!?

So, I was told I have a bad compressor, ok... so I replaced the entire AC system, charged it, and got everything put together. But here's the kicker. The compressor won't kick on. Pressures are good. Charge is good. I tried swapping the relay, didn't fix it. I tried jumping the relay. Still nothing. I don't think the compressor is getting power. What can I do to make sure it does? I've only had the car for a short time, and the AC has never worked.

Ideas?
Old 05-13-2017, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by caleb.burdette
So, I was told I have a bad compressor, ok... so I replaced the entire AC system, charged it, and got everything put together. But here's the kicker. The compressor won't kick on. Pressures are good. Charge is good. I tried swapping the relay, didn't fix it. I tried jumping the relay. Still nothing. I don't think the compressor is getting power. What can I do to make sure it does? I've only had the car for a short time, and the AC has never worked.

Ideas?
Have you checked for voltage using a multimeter?
Old 05-15-2017, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by caleb.burdette

Ideas?
Just curious, why replace the whole system if only the compressor is bad? What was wrong with the other compressor? And yes ... you need to use a voltmeter to see if you are getting 12V to the compressor.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Just curious, why replace the whole system if only the compressor is bad? What was wrong with the other compressor? And yes ... you need to use a voltmeter to see if you are getting 12V to the compressor.
If the compressor is found to be bad, it's best to replace the compressor, filter/drier and all seals before putting in a vacuum. Curious as to what was wrong with the compressor also.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

No I was just confused as to how the shop that said the compressor deemed it bad when the clutch wasn't even kicking in. And yes ... I agree with putting a new receiver/dryer and orifice tube in there when swapping the compressor.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check voltage at the ac compressor relay terminals. You should have 12v on one side of the relay coil and at the input terminal. If you have voltage there check to see if the relay coil receives a ground on the other side of the coil when the ac is turned on. If no ground is received, the relay coil won't energize. The cause of this could be a bad ac pressure sensor.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this sounds obvious, but make sure you plugged the clutch coil in at the compressor.

Sometimes it is the simple things that throw you off.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

per my 2002 service manual, should apply to 1998-02, the ac compressor clutch wont get power unless a few conditions are met such as (going from memory) engine rpm below 4000, engine coolant temp below ~230f and so on. but the two big ones are the ac low and high pressure sensors reading above ~20psi and below 300 of 400 psi. ideally u want a scan tool to verify the pcm sees the hvac head unit in dash is first working and sending signal to pcm, then pcm (if various parameters are met) grounds ac compressor relay which then sends power to ac clutch. it could be as simple as a bad connector at the ac compressor. it could also be a bad hvac unit in the dash... rare but it happens.
also, and this is where a good scan tool is really useful, your pressure gauges might show the system is charged but if the PCM does not see the signal from the pressure sensors for whatever reason then the pcm will never command the compressor clutch to activate. unfortunately you can only go so far with troubleshooting until you need the scan tool to see that live data, unless you chance it by replacing parts and hoping it fixes it (head unit, wiring harness, pcm, etc.). ... but i just saw "you jumped relay" so provided you jumped the correct wires and didn't kick the compressor clutch i would lean towards a bad connector or broken wire.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 06-01-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: AC Help?!?!?