General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

01 Camaro turn signals always on.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Camaro turn signals always on.

Just recently bought a 01 SS and I noticed the turn signals come on and stay on as soon as you turn on the key. I already performed the mod to disable the day time running lights and want to disable the turn signal lights while the headlights are off to. Still want them to function as running lights when the headlights are on. Anyone have any knowledge on this?
Old 06-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Those "turn signal lights" ARE the daytime running lights. You must have disabled the automatic headlights which are an entirely different thing.

Automatic headlights go on when the light sensor detects that it is dark out. They are disabled by shorting the sensor wires together using a ScotchLock connector or something similar. This creates zero resistance across the sensor which the system sees as bright daylight so the headlights never come on automatically.

The amber lights are DRLs which come on any time the ignition is on, the headlights are off, and the parking brake is not engaged. The proper way to disable DRLs (even though they are an important safety item and should be left alone) is to bypass the DRL module behind the radio. The bypass involves cutting the four blue wires and connecting the like pairs together (light blue to light blue/white and dark blue to dark blue/white). You connect the ends that go into the vehicle. The cut ends that go into the DRL module should be taped to prevent any possibility of them shorting.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Torkenstein
Just recently bought a 01 SS and I noticed the turn signals come on and stay on as soon as you turn on the key. I already performed the mod to disable the day time running lights and want to disable the turn signal lights while the headlights are off to. Still want them to function as running lights when the headlights are on. Anyone have any knowledge on this?
What the heck are you trying to do... This whole post sounds like a fail to me...
Old 06-13-2017, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I followed the instructions in this link and it disabled the headlights only. Originally the headlights and turn signals came on when u turn the ignition key on. Followed the instructions on the link which I found here on ls1tech and made a jumper between the a and b terminals on the blue plug. It worked but only for the headlights. Now I'm trying to disable the turn signals from coming on when the ignition is turned on.
http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
Old 06-15-2017, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The daytime running lights stay off when the parking brake is up.

Quick Reply: 01 Camaro turn signals always on.