General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird electrical? issue 2000 LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Weird electrical? issue 2000 LS1 Camaro

I'm looking for some input because this has me thoroughly confused...

I have a stock 2000 Camaro SS M6. I went to start it the other morning and had a half a second of power when I turned the key (lights, dash, radio display all worked) when I went to crack it everything shut off and never came back on.

I tried it again a couple days later to make sure and there was still nothing, I checked the battery and it has 12V, started checking fuses and connections, everything I saw looked good (BTW is there a main fuse or fusible link?). Giving up for the evening I opened the door to lock the car and LIGHTS!! I start the car and the idle is very low almost to the point of stalling. When I rev it the voltage goes up with the RPMS then drops down to about 13.

What could cause this? Could the RPMS be low because it's relearning the idle? Anywhere in particular to look for bad connections that could have caused the initial loss of power?

I plan to take it around the block a few times in the morning to see if I can get it running right again. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Update:

Went to try the car this morning, interior lights came on when I opened the door... I turned the key and it almost cranked but then everything shut off again. I hooked my trickle charger up and left it there for a few hours until it was charged. Still nothing, no power whatsoever.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

How old is the battery and have you tried jumping the car?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

The battery doesnt look very old, no date on it. I've only had the car for a few months. I did try jumping it but that didn't help, multimeter is showing 12V, I hooked it up to my battery tender and let it charge just to be sure.. still nothing . I'm going to double check some connections, hopefully I'll find something.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Solved!

I took the positive battery connection off and the original battery bolt was stripped not allowing the a good connection. I replaced the bolt and snugged it up squarely and I'm back to normal.

Quick Reply: Weird electrical? issue 2000 LS1 Camaro