General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Intermittent starting issue..... 2000 camaro ss t56

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting issue..... 2000 camaro ss t56

So last few weeks every now and then I would push the clutch all the way(recently put a ticks adjustable in) I would turn the key and and all the gauges would go to 0 like it's drawing pwr but not one sound from the starter I would turn the key off and back on and it would fire up immediately. again the starting issue was few and far between. Now I got new tires and my old ones were bald so I did some nice burnouts and was pumping the clutch good. I knew there was an intermittent issue but just assumed it was the neutral safety switch. I'm trying to summarize this the best I can. So now the car is having the starting issue a lot for the last week. Its weird if i push the clutch down hard and in shmc with me turning the key it will start..... but if i just push the clutch in and then turn the key 9/10 times it will do nothing. so I pulled the safety switch and zip ties it out of the way and the first time It started no problem at all. Then I drove around and went to start it and still had the same issue, i even tried to start the car without pushing the clutch down and nothing. The only way the car will do anything is If I push the clutch to floor and turn the key in sync, but now I have to do that 4-5 times then I hear the starter click I do it once or twice more and it clicks and the last time it will turn over and fire up. So my question, even if the safety switch is open could it still prevent the car to start, I assume poor contacts on the switch, but it's a 4pin connector i assume 2 for cruise control. The chip in my key is loose but has been for several months, I don't wanna just be a parts changer, I have my multimeter just don't even know where to begin, I don't mind throwing a neutral safety switch at it, but c ant seem to find a 4 pin neutral safety switch, any help would he MUCH appreciated my fellow LS nation........
Old 07-15-2017, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No neutral switch and it can start in gear, but the clutch has to be in so it won't drive off on someone. Removing the clutch safety by running a jumper wire is the best way. Another way is to hold the key at start and cycle the clutch to see if it is the switch. If it still has intermittent no start with the clutch bypassed then it's ignition switch, start wire, starter, or heavy wiring to of the starter. There is a larger single wire connector on the passenger fender and the wire is like a 12ga purple or blue wire (mine was faded). Check there for 12 volts when trying to start. If 12 volts there then make sure the car is in neutral and run a jumper from that connection to the positive post to see if the starter spins. If it doesn't then it's either that wire or the starter. Get under it and look at the wire and if it's okay pull the start to have it tested and replaced. The stock style starter has two issues these days. The long and short bolt setup leds to nose breaking quite a bit and the gearing insides is no longer all metal. I'd recommend a PowerMaster 9509, but they are expensive. I'm not sure if the 9009 will fit and mostly not sure with headers. Others will come in with other options.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

I used a A/C Delco starter from a 5.3/6.2 pickup truck, they have 2 long bolts.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Default Update

Ok so I pulled the clutch safety switch from the clutch pedal and ziptied it out of the way, got a p0704 now, the car still won't start unless I push the clutch in, but here is the kicker if I push the clutch all the way down to the floor and turn the key all the gauges go 0 but starter does nothing, if I push the clutch 3/4 to the floor it will fire up no problem, I drive this car to work everyday, but today after work on the way home I stopped at the store and when I started the car(had the pedal 3/4 to the floor) the starter clicked a few times, cycled the key and it barely turned over enough to start, again the clutch safety switch is tied up out of the way not even touching the clutch i took it out of the bracket and all. Is there a safety switch in the transmission or could this he a starter issue? I have a ticks adjustable master cylinder. not sure if it's internal transmission issue or starter..... anyone experience something like this, of course when I test continuity in the circuit it's ok but when I'm driving around without a jack or ramps it acts up.....

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting issue..... 2000 camaro ss t56