General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Wiper Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Wiper Problems!

I dont know if its been covered and I am new to posting but I would like advise on how to fix my problem. I have a 2002 firebird and when the wiper setting is on high, the wiper blade flips around and off the windshield and whacks the drivers window. Im sure they are set right, because when on low speed they act right and when turned off seat themselves properly. I tried to stop them from doing this by putting on a short blade. That was worse because when it flipped off the side of the windshield and whacked the driver window it did it so hard Im sure it could break it. Do you think something is bent, or maybe the window wiper control module? I really need to be able to use my wipers on high and any help is appreciated. Is this a common thing?
Old 08-23-2017, 09:00 PM
Lup
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wiper motor is mounted to a triangle shaped bracket. This bracket has 2 tips or points that go into the firewall area. Originally there are 2 rubber pieces that attach to the 2 points. Make sure these are still there.
i had the same issue, the wipers would run past the windshield when driving, but when stopped they wouldn't. Make sure they are there. I couldn't find a good pic, but here's the bracket. Note the 2 tips. In this pic they don't have the rubber..
Old 08-23-2017, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Thanks Ill look! if so where do you find replacements?
Old 08-24-2017, 06:06 AM
Lup
Staging Lane

Maybe someone will chime in. I can't find them. I think I used a small vacuum hose over top of the tips.
Good Luck
Old 08-24-2017, 06:07 AM
Lup
Staging Lane

#3 in the picture, but they list no part number...
Old 08-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Thanks again! I have not taken the cowl off yet to look at the triangle mount but what you say makes sense...Under a light load its able to sit still and under a heavy load it rocks forward...and since our wipers are a mile long a lil bit of movement would be alot of movement..Good idea using a tube cut in small pieces to replace the rubber mounts. BTW how thick or what type as far as what do I ask for when I go to buy some if it is the problem? And you say yours was doing what mine is doing and when you put the tube pieces on it stopped flinging off the windshield totally right?
Old 08-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Lup
Staging Lane

It's been a long time ago. I don't remember sizes, but if I was going to guess I'd say 1/4 hose. Yes it fixed my wiper issues. From what I remember, a huge pita to remove the wiper motor assembly...

Quick Reply: Help! Wiper Problems!