General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2002 firebird AC/Heater Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 04:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 firebird AC/Heater Dash Lights

Hello! I hope someone can help me. I have a 2002 firebird with a problem. I had a friend install a double din jensen radio and now the illumination is gone on my ac/heater fan dash section. The lighter works and the orange light comes on when the rear defrost is on but nothing lights up on that dash section. I thought maybe he broke a bulb but I think there is more than one. Is there a fuse that could cause this? or a certain color wire I should try to find. I dont have a ohm meter. Any advice is appreciated, it sucks not seeing what ac setting Im on.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you still have dash lights in the main instrument panel, the fuses should be good. Without knowing how your friend altered the wiring harness to install the radio, it is almost impossible to know where the problem is. A gray wire supplies the positive power supply and a black wire is the ground to both the radio and HVAC control lights. I've attached a schematic that may help you trace out what was done. Might also want to check to see if any of the wire connectors or light sockets have not been partially separated during the install.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2002 Dash Lights.pdf (230.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-11-2017, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me when I installed a double din. Turned out, all three bulbs blew. I'm guessing it had something to do with moving them around.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Default thanks Peterpar

Thanks! this was what I was hoping to get
Old 09-12-2017, 07:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by yotaman96
Same thing happened to me when I installed a double din. Turned out, all three bulbs blew. I'm guessing it had something to do with moving them around.
This has happened to me. Sometimes, two bulbs will be out and it will be hard to tell. That third one goes... and it's all of a sudden obvious.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark OShields
Hello! I hope someone can help me. I have a 2002 firebird with a problem. I had a friend install a double din jensen radio and now the illumination is gone on my ac/heater fan dash section. The lighter works and the orange light comes on when the rear defrost is on but nothing lights up on that dash section. I thought maybe he broke a bulb but I think there is more than one. Is there a fuse that could cause this? or a certain color wire I should try to find. I dont have a ohm meter. Any advice is appreciated, it sucks not seeing what ac setting Im on.
BEFORE YOU ASSUME THAT THE BULBS ARE BLOWN!

Pull the HVAC controls PARTIALLY out, don't disconnect the vacuum lines. There are only two bulbs that illuminate this section. You will find a yellow cable (positive) and black cable (grounding) for each bulb that merge into each other in parallel. After the merge one trunk (also yellow cable and black cable) move into the dash, somewhere in that route there is a TWO WIRE CONNECTOR that connects the lights into the cars body harness. MORE THAN LIKELY THIS CONNECTOR CAME LOOSE while the radio was being replaced. CHECK that connection and make sure it's TIGHT.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks!

Thanks again!!! I have been weak and have not tackled this yet but I will post a reply with the answer to the problem I hope. Thanks for all of your replies and if you have a suggestion other than the ones given please post it

Quick Reply: 2002 firebird AC/Heater Dash Lights