General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Yellow sludge on coolant dipstick but not on radiator cap or oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow sludge on coolant dipstick but not on radiator cap or oil

Have a 2002 firebird formula and it has a yellow sludge on the coolant dipstick thinking it might be head gasket?¿
Old 10-26-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

That’s your power steering cooler. Delete it
Old 10-26-2017, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Reservoirs get nasty with time. If the radiator and oil look fine then mechanically I think you're ok. The only way you'll be able to clean up that mess is to remove the reservoir and shake/rinse it out good with gas, all purpose cleaner, ect.

Like Darth said, getting rid of the stock power steering cooler is always a good idea to prevent power steering fluid from mixing with coolant.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
Reservoirs get nasty with time. If the radiator and oil look fine then mechanically I think you're ok. The only way you'll be able to clean up that mess is to remove the reservoir and shake/rinse it out good with gas, all purpose cleaner, ect.

Like Darth said, getting rid of the stock power steering cooler is always a good idea to prevent power steering fluid from mixing with coolant.
figured it out someone mixed the green coolant with the red and it sludges up👍🏽
Old 10-27-2017, 06:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Sumrall
figured it out someone mixed the green coolant with the red and it sludges up👍🏽
Nope. Sorry for the bad news. Search this site and you'll see lots of stories about the P/S cooler failing - this is what happens.

Here's a thread on an alternate cooler, but buried in the numerous posts is a pretty definitive analysis that they aren't needed for most people:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

If you delete the cooler, just keep the P/S fluid regularly changed out (every couple of years) and things will be marvelous.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

And if someone did mix coolants in your car, that's a problem to be addressed as well...especially if DexCool was mixed with other formulations or even universal coolants.

I'd agree that a gunked up reservoir dip stick is quite common, even if the rest of the system looks clean. If the dip stick gunks up from PS fluid in your coolant system, it should be everywhere else in your coolant system too. I concur about the PS cooler removal even if its currently not leaking. Took mine out of play 2 years ago with 17K miles.

Quick Reply: Yellow sludge on coolant dipstick but not on radiator cap or oil