General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Are the Firebird headlight Assemblies Adjustable

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are the Firebird headlight Assemblies Adjustable

I'm not asking about the headlight doors or aiming the lights, instead Looking to learn if they can be moved sideways.

My front hood and end were just painted. They removed the front cover to do the work. It seems to line up well with the fenders, hood and proper gaps and all.

My issue is with the drivers side headlight assembly. As you can see in the picture the plastic mask is too close to the edge.

The garage asked ne to come back next week when the guy who worked on it is back, but if I'm able to adjust the assembly myself I will.

Theres a pic of the pass side for comparison.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The headlight assembly is not the problem - the bumper cover is. These cars are notorious for the bumper cover not being easy to align or hold in place.

There is also a common problem where they will ripple and rub against the bottom of the headlight door. I understand it's part of the "character" of the car. The bumper cover really needs more structure behind it, which we don't have. (The headlight doors are rigid assemblies and mounted to the solid front end, whereas the bumper cover is neither.)
Old 10-27-2017, 06:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
The headlight assembly is not the problem - the bumper cover is. These cars are notorious for the bumper cover not being easy to align or hold in place.

There is also a common problem where they will ripple and rub against the bottom of the headlight door. I understand it's part of the "character" of the car. The bumper cover really needs more structure behind it, which we don't have. (The headlight doors are rigid assemblies and mounted to the solid front end, whereas the bumper cover is neither.)
I found that out last night, The headlight assemblies are mounted solid in place.

I just dont see how to get the bumper cover adjusted now, it looks A+ against the side fender.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:35 AM
Save the manuals!

I'm not sure, either. I've had a body shop deal with/tweak mine.

You may poke around the body section on this site and see if there are any hints there.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
I'm not sure, either. I've had a body shop deal with/tweak mine.

You may poke around the body section on this site and see if there are any hints there.
Thanks! I think I've identified the bracket that holds the front cover to the side fender and frame.

I read, drop the access panel under that side of the car, and find a black bracket with 2 bolts/nuts. I believe I can loosen that, and move the front bumpber and side fender out a little, I only need 1/4".

I'll get up in there this weekend and see for myself.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are correct, it can be adjusted there. I had to do the same to mine
Old 10-27-2017, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
Thanks! I think I've identified the bracket that holds the front cover to the side fender and frame.

I read, drop the access panel under that side of the car, and find a black bracket with 2 bolts/nuts. I believe I can loosen that, and move the front bumpber and side fender out a little, I only need 1/4".

I'll get up in there this weekend and see for myself.
are you referring to the metal bracket that is riveted to the bumper ( one on both sides ) and has that tab at the top for a small bolt as seen in the pics by the headlight ?
Old 10-28-2017, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
are you referring to the metal bracket that is riveted to the bumper ( one on both sides ) and has that tab at the top for a small bolt as seen in the pics by the headlight ?
Yup, that's the bracket I'm talking about.
I really wasnt able to gain much, if anything by loosening the 2 nuts underneath, and the screw by the headlights.

Instead I put a washer in between the headlight assembly side bracket, to frame. I gained enough spare so the headlight plastic mask wont rub the nose, but I'm not thrilled with it right now.

I dont see how to adjust and gain any more space with the front bumper
Old 10-29-2017, 09:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
I dont see how to adjust and gain any more space with the front bumper
Your driver's side fender is likely out of place. So, if you are trying to also line up with that, it will throw you off. Once all that moves, you could see that your hood is off, etc...

Have you had "work done" or been in an accident? I don't think you will be able to fix this with just two nuts.

The headlights are in the right place. I expect that (potentially) your hood, bumper cover, and fenders all need to move around those (and the frame) and get gaped properly.

Quick Reply: Are the Firebird headlight Assemblies Adjustable