Old 11-11-2017, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

all done

use the 3/8 allen in the snout and turn the shaft ....should be easy peasy
Old 11-11-2017, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice write up.I'll be saving this page, thanks.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
Nice write up.I'll be saving this page, thanks.
+1 We now have this as a Sticky in the Suspension and Brakes section. (That section includes the details on Steering, as well.)
Old 11-11-2017, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome job! Thank you for the quality pics.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great job Thank You.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

when I asked the guy at PSC if there were any manuals available for repair of the pump and he said no.....I asked him where he got his repair knowledge.....he said he used to work at the factory in Saginaw

I paid 3$ for the seal kit....and 34$ for the ring kit....so not bad to know you did it right over buying a unknown reman

in a pinch the guy at PSC said you can flip the vanes over to the unused side for a brand new edge

at the least you should be doing a seal kit as all the seals get shot with age and heat...especially the reservoir seal

i would think every couple yrs or 30k miles for a re seal ?..... for tip top shape....not shown all my pics is how nasty the insides were .....so a good clean up keeps it all fresh
Old 11-21-2017, 06:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
in a pinch the guy at PSC said you can flip the vanes over to the unused side for a brand new edge
Were those vanes primary where you noticed mechanical wear? Did you see any signs of wear on the bearing? (I guess that thing stays pretty well lubricated?

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i would think every couple yrs or 30k miles for a re seal ?
That sounds a bit steep to me for an engine that was generally warranted from the factory for 100K miles.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wssix99
Were those vanes primary where you noticed mechanical wear? Did you see any signs of wear on the bearing? (I guess that thing stays pretty well lubricated?

the guy at PSC said to look at the ends of the vanes to see if they were rounded....if they were you could flip them to use the fresh unused square edge

i really paid no attention to mine and could not obviously notice any difference between either side of the vane

i think the biggest mechanical wear item besides the vanes would be the outer rotor.....mine was smooth from wear but no scratches or any other obvious defect that might require replacement....i was hoping for a repair manual so i could find info on how to determine and measure wear limits on the hard parts....the new outer rotor was finished rough on the inside compared to the smoothness of the old worn rotor....the guy at PSC said thats what you get fresh out of the box new

by bearing...do you mean the inner pump shaft bushing ? the guy at PSC looked at the bushing and said mine looked good....not having a clue what a new one looks like or how to determine by looks if one was bad......but.....the pump shaft was smooth with no defects from wear from the bushing ....think of the valves in the head and how they ride in the valve guide....easy to install the shaft into the housing and wiggle it to feel for play....my shaft fit in the bushing TIGHT....so tight it needed some effort to install back in....the fluting of the bushing provides for plenty of lubrication of the shaft and it shows

the pump i rebuilt and in the pics was out of my 2000 bird with 230k miles
Old 11-22-2017, 02:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wssix99

That sounds a bit steep to me for an engine that was generally warranted from the factory for 100K miles.
i know we all tend to wait til things break to consider replacing them....i was just suggesting to be proactive and think of a rebuild as a preventative maintenance item ...of course your mileage may vary

i am sure some good synthetic PS fluid and a cooler installed somewhere in the return line also keeps the pump happy for a longer time ( i use both ! )
Old 11-26-2017, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 11-26-2017, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I got the GM seals for my other pump....the reservoir O ring and pressure valve O ring were both black ! .....figured out the valve ring was a hair thicker than the reservoir ring
Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Great job! I need some help myself with the power steering line (99 camaro z28). I'm replacing entire rack and steering pump and line. Looking at the power steering lines online I see they come with fluid restrictor. Do you know where this fluid restrictor installs?
Attached Thumbnails PS pump repair in PICS !-powersteeringline.png  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

no HP line I have installed came with a restrictor....and i have installed 4 so far.......sure thats not some sort of shipping plug?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:47 AM
Launching!

I'm not sure. I saw the pic and had no idea. All parts stores show same thing. I am also worried... I pulled the rack last night and the old pump and left the lines on the pump when pulling it out. I'm not sure which side the high pressure line goes into the rack. I typically take a pic when doing something like this and did not last night now worried about it. Do you know or have any pics of the power steering lines going into the rack?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Excellent post
Old 12-07-2017, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Schnell
I'm not sure. I saw the pic and had no idea. All parts stores show same thing. I am also worried... I pulled the rack last night and the old pump and left the lines on the pump when pulling it out. I'm not sure which side the high pressure line goes into the rack. I typically take a pic when doing something like this and did not last night now worried about it. Do you know or have any pics of the power steering lines going into the rack?
the bottom hole on the rack is the HP line port....the upper hole next to the steering shaft is the low pressure return port

be careful with the O rings on the lines....easy to tear.....if you need some O rings I have some available .........there is a O ring on the low pressure hose too
Old 08-15-2019, 07:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up. I used this to reseal mine. I say reseal, because I was not able to find the rotor and vane kit to replace them. Mine looked okay though, nothing obvious to me. The vanes were still square on the ends. I went ahead and flipped them though. You could see light wear marks on them.

When reassembling, I did not have an arbor press or hydraulic press to compress the wave spring. But a ball joint press worked great. Afterwards, I realized, that I could have used the ball joint press to compress it all and remove the big snap ring. But popping it out with a punch in the hole was no issue.

Thanks for the write up op.

Rob
Old 08-15-2019, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

another happy customer !
Old 08-22-2019, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I found an ACDelco reman new in box on eBay for $80. I'm going to use this write up to rebuild the old one, which is original and keep it as a backup.

Thanks for the research and hard work put into this!
Old 02-03-2020, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

sad news.....seems the rebuild kit GM 26046606 is NLA and a nationwide search comes up empty.....you can still get the rebuild kit from PSC Motorsports....just at a higher price .....I bet Turn One has access to parts but I dont think they are in the part business

Quick Reply: PS pump repair in PICS !