General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need info

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info

I need some advise on where to start , My car was running fine up until this point but as I was leaving my car just died so I tried to restart it and the only way it would start was when I held the gas pedal to the floor once it started it wouldn't idle and sounded like the motor was knocking but I'm not 100% sure of the knocking or it's running so ruff that it just sounds like it . I drove it about 309 yrds to the parking lot so I didn't cause any further damage . I had a friend come get me and the car when I got home I tried to start it again and the exact same thing .

I used a OB2 scanner to scan for codes but nothing was found I'm looking for suggestions .

The car has a BTR stage 2 cam , BTR lifter, rods the heads have had work a fast 92 mm intake and throttle body a new MAF , 42 lbs injectors New fuel pump it's been tuned and EGR valve delete I know I'm forgetting stuff .

And again the car has been running great until today . The motor has approximately 4000-5000 miles .
Old 11-25-2017, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You start by learning what you can about the basics. If if you have a IR temp gun start it again and see if exhaust gets hot by all exhaust ports. If not you could check all coils for spark with a checker or old spark plug. Because it needed pedal to start it is either putting in to much fuel or it is down on power from dropped cylinders. If you have no tools start it again and smell exhaust for heavy gas smell. You could pull a couple of the easier plugs and look for black tips.

Spark missing can be bad plug, wire, coil, or crank and cam signal issues.

Rich is MAF, MAP, or O2.

Lean or no fuel is filter, pump, or regulator.

If it's rich or down on spark in a couple of holes you can run it some more and the scan tool will start to be more help. If it is lean you don't want to run it for risk of damage. If it is really rich that can be bad also.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I started by pulling all the plugs , I gotta say that all of them are black tipped with a little build up so I replaced all of them , There was plug first cylinder on the passenger side that was "Wet " as soon as I pulled the plug i could smell fuel . I am waiting on a coil pack from the parts house which should be in first thing in the morning the rest of the packs were showing spark by doing it the old fashion way my buddy is bringing a tester to use . I also made sure that I checked each and every plug wire to see if there was any damage there was none .

I'm assuming that this has to be an electrical issue right ? I'm thinking and correct me if I'm wrong if it was mechanical problem it wouldn't have just died on me so after I changed the plugs I did try it again and it was a little bit better but still missing like hell and would try to idle at about 400-500. It scares the hell out of me because it sounds like it going to come apart .

Thank you for your help bud anything else let me know

Quick Reply: Need info