General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattle when accelerating cold then goes away

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rattle when accelerating cold then goes away

It only happens when I'm in Drive never in reverse. Let's say I get off the driveway in reverse nothing happens, then I switch to drive, and when I accelerate I get this rattle that goes away after about 75 feet, then I don't ever hear it again, unless I let the engine completely cool down again. So if I start it up warm it acts normal. This is new never heard it before, sounds like its coming from the front of engine can't tell if its below or top end. LQ9 6.0
Could it be pre ignition? the sound sounds like a paint can rattle the harder I accelerate cold the quicker it rattles, and goes away quickly after.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At first I though you were describing a noise I've been hearing also, until you said its in the front. I get a similar noise when backing out of the drive, then forward - in the rear.

Back to yours...I bet its timing. I don't know f your stock, modded, tuned or what-not, but if the conditions are right and the timing isn't right, I've heard of this before.

Check your coils, plugs, plug wires, etc. if it was tuned, maybe a re-tune. If its not tuned, you can still do a dyno tune on a stock car.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
At first I though you were describing a noise I've been hearing also, until you said its in the front. I get a similar noise when backing out of the drive, then forward - in the rear.

Back to yours...I bet its timing. I don't know f your stock, modded, tuned or what-not, but if the conditions are right and the timing isn't right, I've heard of this before.

Check your coils, plugs, plug wires, etc. if it was tuned, maybe a re-tune. If its not tuned, you can still do a dyno tune on a stock car.
Will do, pretty much stock engine no mods, I was thinking of getting all the bolt ons for it, but I can't til I get this sorted out. It never did this before til last month when I started noticing and it has been getting on my nerves, I did do new spark plugs and wires a few months back, I might have it tuned and see if they find something.

Quick Reply: Rattle when accelerating cold then goes away