General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New headlight motor, has power to the harness, dorr will not oporate

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New headlight motor, has power to the harness, dorr will not oporate

Hey Guys,

I have a 99 Trans am 30th anniversary and the driver headlight door will not open. I have power at the Harness for the motor, I replaced the motor and nothing happened. I took the old motor and stripped the wires and connected it straight to the battery and the motor works. the fuses are fine, i can't find relays, what do you think is going on?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have power at the motor connector, then it sounds like you may not be getting a ground to the motor. The system uses a door actuator control module with internal contacts to control the door motor direction by reversing the ground polarity. The driver and passenger sides have separate contacts that control the ground path, so one side could work and the other not. Try checking for 12V between the two wires at the motor connector. If no voltage between them, make sure one the two wires has power to a known ground. Chances are good that a contact is not operating correctly in the door actuator module.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Headlight Door Motors.pdf (209.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Look at the headlight sticky in the special Firebird section. That's where you'll want to post.

You may have a module problem, as peterpar mentions, which is also discussed there. They develop a cold solder joint problem and all the details on fixing that are also in that thread. (towards the back)

That being said, the only way you can have "power at the connector" is if the module is working.

What caused you to change the motor in the first place?

Quick Reply: New headlight motor, has power to the harness, dorr will not oporate