General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

high engine idle rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high engine idle rpm

So the other day I started up my Camaro and the engine wanted to idle cold at about 1900 rpm. I immediately shut the vehicle off after realizing the rpm was not lowering. The car had 1/4 of fuel and a unknown vacuum leak somewhere. I need help finding a solution to this problem. I have tried to do a smoke test and the leak didn't rear its ugly face. I have replace my IAC, TPS and MAF sensors. I have cleaned the throttle body and checked everything I can. What do you guys think the problem could be? It doesn't happen just when the fuel is at a 1/4 of a tank either. Just the first time in awhile since its happened.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:32 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

When engine is cold Spray quick start around the intake and all vac lines when running. When the idle changes you found your leak. If that doesnt show up start checking every vac connection possible
Old 05-27-2018, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

An unlit propane hand torch with the valve open and flowing propane can also reveal a vacuum leak - less chance of causing an engine fire. But either method works for revealing a vacuum leak.

Rick
Old 05-27-2018, 08:34 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

WD40 works too in a pinch but the ether makes a noticeable leap in idle vs others I have tried. Engine cold reduces fire risk tremendously but indeed, spraying flammable substances at a running engine requires some fire safety preparation and awareness. Always keep a CO2 extinguisher nearby, especially when working on carburetors lol