General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Repairing press in hose barbs (ie throttle body coolant passage)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Repairing press in hose barbs (ie throttle body coolant passage)

Though most of us remove the coolant bypass, some, like me, prefer to just leave it alone. Sometimes these hose barbs fall out, break off etc. I purchased a bbk tb off the boards and it had the straight 1/4 barb completely missing. It looked as if someone at some point tried to epoxy it on but it was MIA. Anyway I decided I wanted to fix it because I wanted the clean hose routing.

I started with a quarter inch barb connector. You can purchas these from any hardware store. I drilled the hole on the Throttle body just slightly larger with a drill bill on a hand drill. Unfortunately my little chinese bit didnt have a size engraved on it.

Next I mounted the barb into a drill press, the side that would enter the throttle body was exposed while the drill press held onto the part where the hose would connect. I ran a file against the barb until I could slide two barbs into the hole while the third would catch ever so slightly and stop.

Next I took a propane torch and heated the throttle body and as I did this I had someone take a rubber mallet and drive the barb into the throttle body. I then let it cool and done. Press fit and repaired.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Here is the finished product