General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Multiple blown fuses in last few days

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple blown fuses in last few days

I've had a few fuses blow on me the last few days on my 1998 Trans Am, and I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence or part of a larger problem.

Three nights ago, I was driving on the freeway at night. Headlights on, everything normal. I was doing some "spirited" driving, around 100mph on an empty stretch, when my instrument cluster gauges suddenly went dark. When I pulled into the driveway, I turned the headlamps off, turned the car off, then started again to see if the gauge lights would come back on. No dice. I also turned the headlights back on but noticed only the driver headlight motor would pop up, not the passenger side, yet both headlamps are still illuminated.

The next day, I went and got some new fuses. I opened up the fuse panel on the outer dash but to my surprise, the "GAUGES" fuse is not blown. I started checking the rest of the fuses and discovered the "TAIL LPS" fuse to be blown and replaced that one. This obviously hasn't fixed the gauge cluster issue.

Yesterday, I'm driving around all day, and my radio and odometer go out. I get back home, and again look at the fuse panel. I check the "RADIO ACCY" fuse, and it's fine. I keep looking and discover the "PWR ACCY" fuse is blown. I replaced it and the radio and odometer comes back.

I'm still in the dark (no pun intended) when it comes to the gauge cluster lights and passenger headlight motor. The car is nearly 100% stock aside from a Pioneer head unit. The headlight motor never made any grinding noises to indicate a bad gear. I looked at the wiring and harness and everything seems fine. Is the next diagnosis to hook up a voltage meter to the wiring to see if it's getting power? Any thoughts on the gauge cluster?
Old 05-28-2018, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

if a circuit has power, the next thing to check is the ground. Autozone has wiring diagrams they've copied from GM you can use, or I can look it up the next time I have some free time. where are you located?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I'd definitely be interested in seeing the diagrams. I'm in Michigan.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Check the IP DIMMER fuse for the dash lights. It runs in series after the TAIL LPS fuse (i.e. power from the TAIL LPS fuse goes out to the exterior lights and also goes through the dimmer dial to the IP DIMMER fuse and then to the dash lights). Don't be surprised if you find it blown, replace it and it blows again because it sounds like you have an electrical problem in that circuit.

Check the RH HDLP DR fuse in junction box #1 under the hood on the left side fenderwell for your headlight problem.