General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rough Cold Start, Wants to Die

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Cold Start, Wants to Die

Hello all:

I am new to this forum in the sense of being a member. I have used this forum and a couple others for information to remove motor and transmission and later on reassemble and install them to the car. I have tried searching over the past few weeks and trying different things out to see if I could find the problem. The idle was fine before motor removal but now has an issue to where it wants to kill itself. I have tried propane enrichment to no success in the hopes it would expose a vaccum leak. I changed the IACV and TPS sensor with AC Delco parts as read on the forums, and reset them. the car has a high idle if i push the plunger of the IACV and install it, but once it makes its adjustments it goes back into its rough idle and jerky stall out and code p0506 lives with me. It is a 1999 trans am with a 4l60e. I have pulled a couple of segments of the start up runs with an HP tuner and am just looking for a way to start narrowing this issue down. I think I may need to take my time and go through the wiring and maybe add a ground or 2. As i only remember adding like 2-3 when i put the motor back in. I feel like 2 around the driver headlight area and another on the passenger side. If it will be a help to have the HP tuner files, please let me know and I will find a way to post them here. If anyone is able to help me I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

does this rebuilt motor have the stock cam?
Old 06-20-2018, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry motor isn’t rebuilt, it is the original from when I got it. I had to pull tranny and send it to performabuilt to get fixed. It doesn’t have a stock cam though. I took a pic of the numbers that were scribed on the back side of the motor on the cam.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Check fuel pressure? Clean MAF?

Quick Reply: Rough Cold Start, Wants to Die