General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Running rich?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Running rich?

Hello all,

I wanted to get some input on my car. 01 Firebird 5.7 motor, 134xxx miles. Not daily driven anymore, however when I do drive it I always wreak of gasoline. Could I have an exhaust leak? It seems the smell got worse over the years. Occasionally I will smell oil coming from the cabin as well. Just the faint smell of oil mixed with exhaust. Not burning oil. I do have longtubes, no cats. Could the car be running rich? Basic bolt ons, no tune. I will clean the ls6 intake eventually when I get the chance as I am sure there is oil buildup in there over the years. I was considering doing a frost mail order tune to get rid of the AIR and Rear O2 codes as well.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you dont have any cats and not tune it will make it rich at WOT because it go into cat protection mode. A mail order tune will help out alot and will work good for the mods you have.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the input.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:28 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a scan (a real scan) with an OBDII scanner while the engine is running....see how the 02 sensors are switching. When they are acting up and failing....you WILL NOT necessarily get codes. But they definitely cause the smell of raw fuel when they are on their way out.

LTs and removing cats with no tune......thats not good at all.

Quick Reply: Running rich?