General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

When alternators fail, what part actually fails?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation When alternators fail, what part actually fails?

What is the weak link within your typical alternator? My OEM alternator went out probably 15 years ago, so I replaced it with a cheap aftermarket. It's held up over the years, but I think it's on its last leg. I finally picked up an OEM '03 truck alternator (should have done this years ago), but I want to get it refurbished by an alternator shop before I put it on. If I do this, however, will I be negating what makes the OEM alternators better than aftermarket ones? Is it the replaceable individual parts within the OEM alternator that make it great, or is it just the general design?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I just had to replace my original alternator in my '98 Z28... it made it 20 years! The voltage regulator went out. My volt meter was jumping and my dash lights were flickering. Put a guage on it and it was jumping from 12-14 volts erratically. New alternator installed and volts are steady and everything else was solved too...
Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

Bearings go out, diodes in the rectifier go out. Rarely, very rarely, the enameled wire in the stator coils could either break or short to each other or short to ground. Brushes can wear out. The voltage regulator can also go bad although I understand that late model GM CS regulators are not rebuildable or replaceable.

Rick
Old 07-19-2018, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was good at 21 years but replaced it thinking it was bad. Turned out the few months old starter was bad. If I done a better job troubleshooting I would've caught it and still had my original alternator.

Quick Reply: When alternators fail, what part actually fails?