General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

speedo issue, guessing its the vss?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default speedo issue, guessing its the vss?

so recently my car has been having an issue with the speedo randomly jumping around for the first minute or so of driving the car then it starts to work fine. I decided to hook up my scan tool to it and look at the speed readings live and sure enough it randomly jumps around just not quite as fast as my gauge is jumping around and then once the gauge starts to read normally it also read normally. Im thinking this points to the vss being bad however it's just kinda odd that it only does it for a minute or so then behaves normally, anyone else have any input on this?
Old 09-13-2018, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

a little update on this..i don't drive my car too much ( maybe twice a week) and noticed the other day I randomly had a hard time getting the car over into reverse. Well the lockout solenoid was somehow randomly stuck, I did the usual things like check the fuse and it was fine. Well the next time I drove the car my speedo was pretty much completely dead and then the check engine light came on. I scanned it and it was the P0500 code which is for the vehicle speed sensor so I thought to myself maybe that is why my reverse solenoid suddenly stopped working properly. I went ahead and erased the code and my reverse lockout begin working like normal again. Im guessing the PCM does this as a safety measure, well anyway I ordered a speed sensor so just waiting for it to come in now.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:24 AM
12 Second Club

another update..went ahead and replaced the speed sensor yesterday however I still have no speedo. It will randomly work occasionally but most of the time is just dead at 0. Im gonna hook my scan tool up to it to see if the pcm is reading speed but im guessing it isn't since my car was throwing a p0500 code for the speed sensor. That being said the only thing I can do is try to test the wiring from the speed sensor to the pcm and if it isn't good then replace it.