General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC compressor clutch bad? Or compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor clutch bad? Or compressor?

Sorry if I sound dumb guys, I'm learning. Still not the most engine savvy guy. I don't know much about the AC system other than what I've been reading while chasing this problem. Well my air stopped blowing cold, and I found that the serpentine belt had broke. I replaced it, and the cruise control/compressor fuse keeps blowing. The clutch seems to not be engaging. With the plug to the compressor unplugged and the air turned on I'm getting good voltage, but the second I plug it in the fuse blows. So I'm hoping the clutch is bad, not the compressor. Cuz I'm on a tight budget. Autozone doesn't sell just the clutch however, so I'm gonna have to find it online. Any other advice on how to tell if it's the whole compressor that's bad, or just the clutch part? It was making a terrible metal on metal sound and you can hear it when u spin it by hand. Like the bearings bad.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently replaced the ac compressor, drier and condenser in my daily driver truck with zero AC experience prior. It’s been blowing ice cold all summer too! Autozone has a few free loan-a-tools to help diagnose things as well. When you break it down, car AC is a simple system.
Are you able to remove the clutch assembly to inspect it? I would start there first, but I honestly suspect the compressor may be bad and is causing an overload when the clutch engages.