Coolant brownnish color? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant brownnish color?

Old 11-01-2018, 06:26 PM
  #1  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 31
Default Coolant brownnish color?

Hi I had got a coolant flush few months ago. I知 not sure if the person who did it incorrectly but before I know there was brown stuff in the coolant because a head gasket had blown on my 98 Pontiac firebird. I noticed that the coolant is greenish with a little brownish. Does anyone know the reason what might the reason be? Also the other technician who came out to inspect my car said that the car was low on coolant. I知 guessing the shop added not enough coolant to save their money.

I had a over heating issue about a month ago with the timing cover gasket since it was overheating which was replaced. Can somebody please let me know. Thank you
Mike1711 is offline  
Old 11-02-2018, 12:58 AM
  #2  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
sjsingle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 5,127
Default

does your car have the " power steering cooler " ?
sjsingle1 is offline  
Old 11-02-2018, 07:34 AM
  #3  
Save the manuals!
iTrader: (5)
 
wssix99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10,714
Default

Lot's of things sound to be off. There should be no green.

A correct flush involves a full drain, which requires that the two coolant gallery plugs on the sides of the block be removed. I can't imagine a shop (or even a dealer) would get into such a mess.
wssix99 is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 02:06 PM
  #4  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 11,243
Default

Originally Posted by Mike1711 View Post
Hi I had got a coolant flush few months ago. I知 not sure if the person who did it incorrectly but before I know there was brown stuff in the coolant because a head gasket had blown on my 98 Pontiac firebird. I noticed that the coolant is greenish with a little brownish. Does anyone know the reason what might the reason be? Also the other technician who came out to inspect my car said that the car was low on coolant. I知 guessing the shop added not enough coolant to save their money.

I had a over heating issue about a month ago with the timing cover gasket since it was overheating which was replaced. Can somebody please let me know. Thank you
Pretty simple....they refilled your radiator with GREEN coolant...which is better than Dexcool by the way............ But before they put the GREEN in there they did not completely flush out all the old brown Dexcool. OR.....it was a mistake to add the GREEN to the Dexcool. It doesn't matter, top it off and have fun.

OR

Flush it real good and start over.....with either all GREEN....or all new Dexcool.

-----And you absolutely CAN get 100% of the old coolant out of an engine block, heads, heater core and lines.....without removing the engine plugs....LOL

If you want to do a 100% flush and complete cooling system cleaning like its brand new....PM me......

.
LS6427 is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 08:04 AM
  #5  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
bleepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 531
Default

Originally Posted by LS6427 View Post
If you want to do a 100% flush and complete cooling system cleaning like its brand new....PM me......

.
or.................you could share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of the world.
bleepster is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 10:26 PM
  #6  
Save the manuals!
iTrader: (5)
 
wssix99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10,714
Default

Originally Posted by bleepster View Post
or.................you could share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of the world.
Carefull...

wssix99 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 09:50 AM
  #7  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
bleepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 531
Default

^^ lol
bleepster is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 12:30 AM
  #8  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 11,243
Default

Originally Posted by bleepster View Post
or.................you could share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of the world.
My flush write up is all over this forum....easy to find. Pulling engine plugs is plain stupid and only a manufacturer procedural write up. Completely unnecessary.

.
LS6427 is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 08:37 AM
  #9  
Save the manuals!
iTrader: (5)
 
wssix99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10,714
Default

Originally Posted by LS6427 View Post
Pulling engine plugs is plain stupid and only a manufacturer procedural write up. Completely unnecessary.
Yet, we still don't have any technical discussion on why this might be "stupid" and why GM's cadre of very educated and capable engineers are morons. Without that, assertions like this are just empty chest bumping.

wssix99 is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 01:26 PM
  #10  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
bleepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 531
Default

let me guess............compressed air?
bleepster is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: