General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant brownnish color?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant brownnish color?

Hi I had got a coolant flush few months ago. I’m not sure if the person who did it incorrectly but before I know there was brown stuff in the coolant because a head gasket had blown on my 98 Pontiac firebird. I noticed that the coolant is greenish with a little brownish. Does anyone know the reason what might the reason be? Also the other technician who came out to inspect my car said that the car was low on coolant. I’m guessing the shop added not enough coolant to save their money.

I had a over heating issue about a month ago with the timing cover gasket since it was overheating which was replaced. Can somebody please let me know. Thank you
Old 11-01-2018, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

does your car have the " power steering cooler " ?
Old 11-02-2018, 06:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Lot's of things sound to be off. There should be no green.

A correct flush involves a full drain, which requires that the two coolant gallery plugs on the sides of the block be removed. I can't imagine a shop (or even a dealer) would get into such a mess.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike1711
Hi I had got a coolant flush few months ago. I’m not sure if the person who did it incorrectly but before I know there was brown stuff in the coolant because a head gasket had blown on my 98 Pontiac firebird. I noticed that the coolant is greenish with a little brownish. Does anyone know the reason what might the reason be? Also the other technician who came out to inspect my car said that the car was low on coolant. I’m guessing the shop added not enough coolant to save their money.

I had a over heating issue about a month ago with the timing cover gasket since it was overheating which was replaced. Can somebody please let me know. Thank you
Pretty simple....they refilled your radiator with GREEN coolant...which is better than Dexcool by the way............ But before they put the GREEN in there they did not completely flush out all the old brown Dexcool. OR.....it was a mistake to add the GREEN to the Dexcool. It doesn't matter, top it off and have fun.

OR

Flush it real good and start over.....with either all GREEN....or all new Dexcool.

-----And you absolutely CAN get 100% of the old coolant out of an engine block, heads, heater core and lines.....without removing the engine plugs....LOL

If you want to do a 100% flush and complete cooling system cleaning like its brand new....PM me......

Old 11-08-2018, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
If you want to do a 100% flush and complete cooling system cleaning like its brand new....PM me......

or.................you could share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of the world.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by bleepster
or.................you could share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of the world.
Carefull...

Old 11-09-2018, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ lol
Old 11-09-2018, 11:30 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bleepster
My flush write up is all over this forum....easy to find. Pulling engine plugs is plain stupid and only a manufacturer procedural write up. Completely unnecessary.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Pulling engine plugs is plain stupid and only a manufacturer procedural write up. Completely unnecessary.
Yet, we still don't have any technical discussion on why this might be "stupid" and why GM's cadre of very educated and capable engineers are morons. Without that, assertions like this are just empty chest bumping.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

let me guess............compressed air?