General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whistling sound when idling and upon acceleration in the cabin

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whistling sound when idling and upon acceleration in the cabin

my wife noticed a whistling sound in my 2002 Z28 last night, while we were idling at a stop sign. I'm half deaf so I hadn't noticed it. But she was right, and when I accelerated away from the stop sign, the whistling seemed to get a higher pitch. I walked around the car in the driveway and popped the hood and didn't hear anything, but when I got back in the car, it was still whistling. It was late so I parked the car and went to bed. And it's Christmas Eve, with family coming over, so rather than search the archives, I thought I'd be lazy and ask for some direction on where to start on this problem. First step will be me putting in my hearing aids, so I can localize the sound. Thanks for your help.😎
Old 12-24-2018, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

HVAC utilizes Vacuum, might start there if the noise comes from inside the car.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Default Whistling seems to be coming from the stereo speakers??

i put in my hearing aids to help me localize where the whistling is coming from. It seems to be coming from the stereo speakers. But why would the whistle increase in pitch when I give it some gas? I've heard of high priced sports cars having engine sound enhancers that I guess run through the car's speakers. Does a 2002 Camaro Z28 have such a thing? I got my wife to listen to the rear speakers and she heard it too. Hmmm?
Old 12-24-2018, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've noticed that before on one of these cars, I just dealt with it but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of electrical interference. A bad ground or something like that. I'm not exactly an electrical guru so hopefully someone else can chime in.
if it's a stock radio, I know they have the automatic volume adjustment with increase in speed. There's no engine simulation with these cars though.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Default Whistling sound in stereo speakers

I do have the stock Monsoon stereo. I'll have to research that set up. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

A bad stereo ground will send a high pitch buzz through the speakers. It increases in volume and pitch with speed. If you turn the stereo completely off instead of just muting the volume it will stop. My fiance always turns the volume all the way down instead of actually turning things off.

It might be worth a few minutes time to pull the stereo and see if there's anything obvious in the wiring connectors.