General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP: Groan when steering to the left and with rear passenger only

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP: Groan when steering to the left and with rear passenger only

Hello. I am the original of a 2002 A4 SOM Z28 with full external engine bolt-ons, completely-upgraded suspension, and the fully-optioned Midwest fabricated 9 inch rear. Recently, I had two passengers in my car including my Bro on the passenger side and my Wife on the rear passenger side. As the car would roll (with or without acceleration) and whenever I turned the steering wheel to the left, I would hear a deep groan come from the mid-underside of the car. This only happened whenever I had a rear passenger and whenever I turned the steering wheel to the left. What would be the cause of this groan? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

If you went with poly bushings it could just be them squawking when under load. Some folks use rubber in certain areas just to avoid the creaks and groans.

Other idea is side loading causing something like the torque arm or even a rear wheel to rub.
​​​​​​
When you accelerate you load the rear. When you turn left you load the right side. I'd start looking at the right rear wheel and working in from there. If you don't find rub marks on anything then have someone jack the left front while you watch the joints and bushings for binding.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
If you went with poly bushings it could just be them squawking when under load. Some folks use rubber in certain areas just to avoid the creaks and groans.

Other idea is side loading causing something like the torque arm or even a rear wheel to rub.
​​​​​​
When you accelerate you load the rear. When you turn left you load the right side. I'd start looking at the right rear wheel and working in from there. If you don't find rub marks on anything then have someone jack the left front while you watch the joints and bushings for binding.
Thank you for your great suggestions. I will act on them.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by damon_Z
Thank you for your great suggestions. I will act on them.
Let us know what you find or what you rule out. I'm sure others will need the info at some point.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:30 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Better check that outer axle bearing