General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What is this???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default What is this???

and could it effect the cooling fans,,,?

Old 03-26-2019, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

What are we looking at? Is it a chunk of tape or is there a connection or splice right there? It could very well affect the fans, that is the connector the ran relay ground control runs through.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fuel pump prime connector, for jumping power to the fuel pump for testing purposes.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Fuel pump prime connector, for jumping power to the fuel pump for testing purposes.
shhhiiiittttt, yup that's exactly that. Forgot about that since I deleted my engine harness/ecm.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sorry,,,, I am referring to the lone connector... I removed the tape and none of the wires have been spliced or cut into... I cannot find the female connector to that lone wire? I have looked everywhere.. Both of those harnesses run to the fans... I am at a loss as to why I cannot get these fans to run. I did in fact get one to run by unplugging the water pump temp sensor. 1 fan came on when I did that. I replaced 3 relays, all fuses are good,all wiring seems to be in tact. I am at a point to where I may just install a manual switch... But I would really like to pin point this. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Back to square 1....

So should that lone wire be like that? Or should it be connected.? The fuel pump was replaced a few months ago. That is good to know though. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Old 03-27-2019, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

that green wire runs the cooling fans. I had the exact same problem. See here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...ght-p0480.html

with in that post is another link to a more detailed break down of my problem.

i ended up giving up - and had a local shop run me a new wire from fans to PCM - problem went away

are you getting any codes?
Old 03-27-2019, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

one of the two wires in the connector is grounded by the PCM to activate either high or low speed fans. The lone connector is normal, you apply power to it and it will activate the fuel pump, useful for diagnosing no starts and deciding it if's fuel or security causing issues. Have you tried unplugging the connector on the fender, and grounding either one of the pins and seeing if your fans come one? Sounds like you may have one bad fan, since for low speed you need both to be good, when you unplug the water pump sensor I believe it kicks them into high. Thus providing power and ground to each independently. Try to power each fan on it's own with a few wire jumpers, I bet one is bad.

http://shbox.com/1/fan_schematic_1995.jpg
Old 03-27-2019, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Thanks Bleep.... No codes or CEL...

Originally Posted by bleepster
that green wire runs the cooling fans. I had the exact same problem. See here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...ght-p0480.html

with in that post is another link to a more detailed break down of my problem.

i ended up giving up - and had a local shop run me a new wire from fans to PCM - problem went away

are you getting any codes?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I have looked at the schematic numerous times... and I have searched the internet for a visual... I am a complete and utter idiot when it comes to electrical.

I have in fact unplugged both of the connectors on the fender. I have looked everywhere in the wiring harness and it is all entirely in tact.
Yes, one fan came on when I uplugged that sensor. I replaced the old one with one from auto zone. It didn't work so I purchased an AC Delco one from summit racing. replaced relays..

I will be refilling coolant, bleeding system this week. How exactly do I ground those plugs to see if the fans come on?

Originally Posted by biketopia
one of the two wires in the connector is grounded by the PCM to activate either high or low speed fans. The lone connector is normal, you apply power to it and it will activate the fuel pump, useful for diagnosing no starts and deciding it if's fuel or security causing issues. Have you tried unplugging the connector on the fender, and grounding either one of the pins and seeing if your fans come one? Sounds like you may have one bad fan, since for low speed you need both to be good, when you unplug the water pump sensor I believe it kicks them into high. Thus providing power and ground to each independently. Try to power each fan on it's own with a few wire jumpers, I bet one is bad.

http://shbox.com/1/fan_schematic_1995.jpg