General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LED that fits LMC truck lights for 98-02...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 811 Likes on 618 Posts

Default LED that fits LMC truck lights for 98-02...

I found a canbus LED light that fits in the LMC housing. It's sold as a X9 ZES chip and is available in a red or purple color on two of the largest internet sites. They are roughly 3 inches long and about 1.2 inches stick out the back of the factory buckets. I put a set in the low beam housings. They fit and cleared without any modifications to the LMC lights and factory buckets. Bending the tabs on the back of the factory metal bucket may give a little extra room for better cooling. I can stand in front of my TA and not be blinded. It's only when I get down and look directly into the housing that they are are annoyingly bright.

I did have to modify one aspect of the low beam 9006. The plastic tabs were loose in the LMC housing. To get them to fit tight, I found a slim O ring that had in the garage and slipped it on. I think you could find an O ring at Harbor Freight that would work. They sell a nice box of O rings for cheap.

They claim that the beam pattern is 360 degree and calibrated for reflector lenses. They work and are brighter than halogens. As with all modifications, check state regs for legality. User discretion is advised.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 266 Likes on 230 Posts

It is not necessary to get CAN bus LED lights for the headlights as fourth generation f-bodies don't use CAN bus for lighting.

When you get a chance, can you post a photo of the beam pattern against a wall? I'd be curious to see how well these new generation LED headlight bulbs match the "filament" placement as they claim. LED bulb manufacturers are starting to wake up to the problems of their earlier bulbs which should make the new ones much better.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

The hot spot was a bit more diffused than I'd have preferred but in the real world they light up street signs and the road.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

I did a test tonight. I pulled the TA behind my Miata and then sat in the Miata. The lights weren't blinding from behind.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I did a test tonight. I pulled the TA behind my Miata and then sat in the Miata. The lights weren't blinding from behind.
Were you able to bias them low to compensate for this?
Is there still a clean break in the beam that just happens to sit higher than the halogens do?
Currently looking at the LMC Truck 36-0302 headlamps as recommended in other forums... wondering whether to go LED or HID with tin-foil caps on the tips.
Impressive you found an LED that clears the pop-up actuation area!

Quick Reply: LED that fits LMC truck lights for 98-02...