Notices
General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Looking for air conditioning expertise

Old 06-11-2019, 05:57 AM
Teching In

Default Looking for air conditioning expertise

I have searched and searched and havenít found the answers Iím looking for. I have a 2001 ss that the previous owner had a new compressor and dryer installed in 2013. When I bought the car in 2017 it was working fine. The car sat unused over the winter and the next spring the ac was warm. I did buy an ac pro to charge it, but it showed green on the low side so I didnít use it. The compressor is turning off and on like it suppose to so I think the pressure is correct. The lines in the engine compartment do not get cold except from the pressure switch to the bulk head. The small line that looks like it hold the orafice screen. I am borrowing a full gauge setup to check both the high and low pressures today. I am hoping it has just lost some charge.

The small line to the left of the switch is what gets cold and sweats.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mich2112 View Post
The small line to the left of the switch is what gets cold and sweats.
I'm no A/C expert either, but I'm pretty sure that small line with the switch on it is the high pressure line, which I don't think should be getting cold until after the liquid refrigerant goes through an expansion valve near the evaporator coil located inside the ventilation system. The larger line above it appears to be the suction side, which is what usually gets cold since it is carrying the gaseous refrigerant that has already expanded / evaporated and absorbed heat from the interior. Maybe that is a clue to what is going on?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Teching In

More research and I discovered that the orifice tube is located just to the left of that switch. That causes the restriction in the high side which causes the refrigerant to become cold when entering the evaporator. So the line becoming cold there makes sense, so the pressures on the high and low side should show if itís low refrigerant. If I see lower values on high and low side that means itís low. Sounds like the recommendation is to evacuate, pull vacuum and recharge. I hope that is all it is.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like u have a restriction. Replace orifice tube.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: