General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1993 Formula Air Conditioning Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default 1993 Formula Air Conditioning Help

Well, I seem to be in a bit of a pickle with my 93 Formula. The lower part of the A/C line that runs under the compressor to the condenser came loose from the bracket it was supposed to be secured to and rubbed against the belt and formed a hole. You're probably thinking "no big deal, just swap in another one" buuuuuut, 1993 is a one year only design. Mine has a low pressure switch mounted next to the charge port:

1994-1997 LT1 F-Body's had no such switch. The function was essentially handled by the ECM. I have looked high and low for a new one (the part number is 10241616), but none can be found. I have also spoken with some salvage yards and none have been able to find a serviceable one for me. I temporarily patched it once with a 3/8 barb fitting and some screw style hose clamps. It held pressure and I was able to charge the system. It worked for about a month, but eventually the hose blew off one end and here we are again. I'm thinking these are my options:

- Go to the dealer and do unspeakable things to a parts manager in order to hopefully find one sitting on a shelf in some dealer parts room somewhere....
- Try some PEX style cinch clamps instead of the hose clamps and pray that they hold up better.
- Keep looking for a good used one.
- Put in one from a 94-97 LT1 and try and fool the sensor.

The sensor is looking for a reading over 9psi. I'm sure there is an ohm range the sensor is looking for, I just don't know it and the factory service manual only shows the psi ratings. Has anybody else here dealt with this issue? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Quick Reply: 1993 Formula Air Conditioning Help