General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My AC just isn't cold...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default My AC just isn't cold...

I've had my '02 WS6 for nine years and the AC has never been cold. Two summers ago I took it to a mechanic and they said the AC was overpressurized even though nobody had touched the AC for 7 years as long as I've owned the car. Anyway, after leaving there the air felt just a bit colder, but nothing like my Camry's AC.
I want a cold AC. It blows hard but it just isn't cold enough. What can I do? I'm about to just buy whatever parts I need to in order to get a nice cold AC.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
I've had my '02 WS6 for nine years and the AC has never been cold. Two summers ago I took it to a mechanic and they said the AC was overpressurized even though nobody had touched the AC for 7 years as long as I've owned the car. Anyway, after leaving there the air felt just a bit colder, but nothing like my Camry's AC.
I want a cold AC. It blows hard but it just isn't cold enough. What can I do? I'm about to just buy whatever parts I need to in order to get a nice cold AC.
If you want to spend some money, get yourself a set of gauges that way there's no guessing about what's going on. That's the very first step is finding out what pressures you have on the high and low sides to the current ambient temps.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,381 Posts

Do you have a thermometer so you can see what the current temp is coming from the AC vents when on max? It should be in the 40's if working properly at least it was on mine. It sat for many years and leaked out all of the refrigerant. I didn't even pull a vacuum when I recharged mine after replacing all of the seals and orifice tube.It would have probably been even colder had I pulled a vacuum on it.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:10 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
These 98-02 Fbodys are old. Probably just need a new condenser, its probably dirty as hell. You can clean them, but better just to get a new one.....yours is probably 20+ years old.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

Buy a parallel condenser and a new dryer, Harbor Freight sells a fair set of gauges and a vacuum pump,, leave the pump on for hours,, it will pump down fast but let it sit at vacuum, I left mine on most of a day I wanted to get as much water as possible out. Set the pressures exactly ,, R134 has to be dead on or it loses efficiency fast.
As old as the cars are,,, new hoses wouldn't hurt. You can also buy a new clutch for most AC units if you shop around.

Make sure all the guts of the under the dash stuff are working, baffles doors etc.. I've seen on other cars where the cold air door jams at 50% open on high.. so you get warm air mixing with the cold. (Not sure if that's a problem on your car..
Old 07-23-2020, 04:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by stilealive
These 98-02 Fbodys are old. Probably just need a new condenser, its probably dirty as hell. You can clean them, but better just to get a new one.....yours is probably 20+ years old.
Mine is as old as his with 180k and still blows plenty cold. Not that his condenser isn't old and tired, so I would try the procedures that pdx laid out.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:59 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You could add some dye and run it a while then inspect for leaks first. Or just freshen it all up if funds allow and go another 20 years worry free; New evap, condenser, filter/drier, orfice and had a robin air recahrge done. Pulls vaccum and weighs the exact amount of coolant to add.

Quick Reply: My AC just isn't cold...