General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ignition stuck in run

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition stuck in run

I just acquired a 2000 trans am from my parents. It’s been sitting for years bc the fuel pump went out and the key is stuck in the run position. The car was running fine but one day it got stuck in run position so it couldn’t be switched off. It sat and last year I was going to move it and the fuel pump quit running. I replaced the pump itself and it still won’t come on so I ordered another complete module. My next problem is the ignition. Does this sound like the cylinder itself needs to be replaced ?
Old 07-21-2020, 04:35 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

It could be the cylinder but it might not be. The ignition switch is mounted to the steering column closer to the dash. It is controlled by a bent steel rod from the ignition cylinder. That rod could be bent or jamming against something preventing it from moving. Or the ignition switch itself could be frozen in place preventing the key from turning. Both of those conditions are relatively easy to fix.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:42 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=WhiteBird00;20271718]It could be the cylinder but it might not be. The ignition switch is mounted to the steering column closer to the dash. It is controlled by a bent steel rod from the ignition cylinder. That rod could be bent or jamming against something preventing it from moving. Or the ignition switch itself could be frozen in place preventing the key from turning. Both of those conditions are relatively easy to fix.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the reply. What should I be looking for ? Can I try to manually move it ?
Old 07-21-2020, 04:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, that would be the first step. Try moving the rod up and down. If it doesn't move, disconnect it from the switch and try again. That will tell you if the switch is the problem. Then try turning the key while the rod is disconnected. You should be able to see if the rod is binding on something.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It could be the cylinder but it might not be. The ignition switch is mounted to the steering column closer to the dash. It is controlled by a bent steel rod from the ignition cylinder. That rod could be bent or jamming against something preventing it from moving. Or the ignition switch itself could be frozen in place preventing the key from turning. Both of those conditions are relatively easy to fix.
i think I seen the rod. Tried to upload a pic but it hasn’t been approved I guess. Is it right beside the tilt lever? If so it’s not attached to anything. A black piece fell down when I tried moving it. I tried moving the shifter to see if I seen anything and nothing moved. I could feel the rod moving like a linkage but it wasn’t moving with the shifter. I may be going down the wrong path. I’m clueless with the ignition and column
Old 07-21-2020, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dray259
i think I seen the rod. Tried to upload a pic but it hasn’t been approved I guess. Is it right beside the tilt lever? If so it’s not attached to anything. A black piece fell down when I tried moving it. I tried moving the shifter to see if I seen anything and nothing moved. I could feel the rod moving like a linkage but it wasn’t moving with the shifter. I may be going down the wrong path. I’m clueless with the ignition and column
i meant the rod would move by me pushing it. But it wasn’t moving when I moved shifter

Last edited by Dray259; 07-21-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Nevermind, that’s the dimmer actuator I’m assuming. But it’s broke too
Old 07-22-2020, 01:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The rod you're looking for is not related to the shifter. I am referring to a rod that goes from the ignition cylinder down the steering column to the ignition switch - it should be next to the headlight dimmer switch rod.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:30 PM
Teching In

i ended up replacing the cylinder. Is there a trick to getting the key out of the locked cylinder so I can measure the resistance ?
Old 07-26-2020, 12:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

There is a mechanism/wafer in the cylinder that holds the key captive until it's back in the OFF position. You either need to wiggle it until it turns, or you can turn it forward in between ACC and RUN. At that point, you may be able to disassemble the cylinder. If you can do this successfully, the lock will explode and all the parts/springs, etc. will go flying - but it's toast anyway.

BTW - Here's a great manual that shows how the column goes together: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

Quick Reply: Ignition stuck in run