General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Purple power = dammit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Purple power = dammit

I knew better from past experiences, but I thought " cold motor and clean it off immediately...what harm will come??". Well not only did it whiten my aluminum parts, I now have a whir sound (comparable to the intake boot being left off) coming from the engine. I really think it is a pulley because that purple devil probably cleaned the grease out of one of them. Has anyone dealt with this before??? I have sprayed some kroil on all pulleys and the noise shrank about 80%....... Thinking I might have to oil one at a time and run the motor each time to narrow it down.

Input is appreciated as always

Side note.... WD40 brings the color back to all the aluminum parts

Thanks
Old 07-31-2020, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Purple Power contains an alkaline that corrodes aluminum, so no surprises there. It is also a degreaser by design so you're probably on the right track regarding the pulley. The only thing I ever used it for was cleaning a shop floor and that was after diluting it with water. Not an engine bay cleaner but you already know this. Griot's engine cleaner works great.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Let the engine run and put a long screwdriver on each bearing and listen to see which ones are the noisiest

Old 09-10-2020, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Got it fixed..... Narrowed it down by taking off the main belt. Noise went away during a brief idle. Checked alternator and it was not spinning freely and a tad noisy. Pulled it off and had one of my shops I deal with install new bearings (for free... well for a 24 pack). Installed yesterday and back to smooth sounds. BTW.. Front bracket was broke at one of the mount points, so I had to replace that as well. It took me about 30 minutes to get it all buttoned up so not too bad of a job.

Quick Reply: Purple power = dammit