General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Brake & ABS indicators

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Brake & ABS indicators

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed both the ABS & brake lights on the instrument cluster will remain on after starting the engine and with the e-brake handle completely down. Park the car, restart it a random period of time later, the lights do not illuminate. I haven't determined the pattern. Brake fluid reservoir is full, tires are all the same size, no problems with the brakes although it's tough for me to get into an ABS event on dry roads. I'm taking it to a shop next Saturday to get it scanned, but wondering what the common culprits could be, as it's the first time I've had this behavior since I bought the vehicle new.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Check the wheel sensors where they plug in. One or more could be just dirty and it gets a better connection after the car is driven for awhile. A simple thing like hitting a stick on the road could unplug or damage a sensor. Unplug them and spray some electromotive or other cleaner on them and examine the wires. That would be my first step.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

^^^ that. I didn't see anything in your 'mod list' indicating 3 channel ABS OR 4 channel ABS & TC ?
Old 05-20-2021, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
^^^ that. I didn't see anything in your 'mod list' indicating 3 channel ABS OR 4 channel ABS & TC ?
That's because ABS has not been modified from stock; I do not have TCS.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I've acquired ABS code C0075, "RF ABS Solenoid #2 circuit malfunction". My normal shop indicates the fix is rebuild or replace. The GM Helms manual says replacement. GM parts manual says J65 brakes, non-NW9 (TCS) EBCM PN is 12453256 (98, EXC NW9) or PN 10424856 (98-02, EXC NW9). Not clear what the difference between those two part numbers are, the only PN I can find on my assembly is 10281635 where the hard lines attach.

I've found used modules on eBay of questionable quality, haven't found any new aftermarket modules. If I drop ABS, I don't want the cluster alarms on, but if I were to re-install it, I'd want the cluster alarms to easily work again, so no permanent removal of the brake alarms in the cluster. Using tape to cover the LED is, er, tacky. I have no interest in the cost or complexity to implement Bosch or Teves.

Unless there are other ideas, a used unit from Hawks seems to be the best option. Anyone know a reliable resource to rebuild a spare OEM EBCM?

Last edited by JimMueller; 05-22-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake & ABS indicators