General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 Door Window Loses Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 98 Door Window Loses Track

I replaced the motor in my driver side door and now when I roll the window up it falls in/loses track. I can barely push the window out and it tracks just fine. I also only replaced the 3 rivets with screws. Where should I check first? Both my top window guides are in place.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did you use the shbox method to do the swap? If so, the bolts should be just fine - except you should use nylock nuts. The regular nuts will loosen over time and cause the motor gear to disengage.

The nuts/tighness could be your problem, although (if you used the shbox method) I suspect your issue is that you attached the wrong holes on the motor housing and just need to re-position the motor attachment.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Did you use the shbox method to do the swap? If so, the bolts should be just fine - except you should use nylock nuts. The regular nuts will loosen over time and cause the motor gear to disengage.

The nuts/tighness could be your problem, although (if you used the shbox method) I suspect your issue is that you attached the wrong holes on the motor housing and just need to re-position the motor attachment.
Welp I opened the door back up and found my issue.

is there a fix for this besides welding it back on?
Old 07-18-2021, 11:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

No other option. I would also have some additional metal or a washer put in there to back up the old metal. (No matter if you weld it or a shop does it.)

This is a common problem and we have a few threads on it. There are no proper replacement rollers and the proper part (a new frame for the window glass with the roller installed) does not seem to be available. (So the only source for a replacement part is the junkyard.)

Some people have rigged other solutions to this with bolts and foreign rollers. IMO - welding the original roller back in is the best repair.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's really frustrating when the junk yard or fabrication are the only answers. It's worse for 3rd gen cars (in that hell right now...)
Old 09-06-2021, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ended up threading a tapping the old roller. I added 2 waters to the back where the bolt went in for extra surface area and proper spacing. Window seals perfect.
also added a picture of parts used.

Quick Reply: 98 Door Window Loses Track