General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PCV and Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV and Low Oil Pressure

2000 Trans Am with 226k.

Car oil pressure was fine at around 35-40psi and never really dropped much. Added longtubes and did the ls6 valley cover and replaced some old pcv lines. Fresh oil change car starts up with 35-40 psi. After it fully warms up it probably runs about 20-25 psi. You can add throttle and it will come up to 35-40psi. If you are driving and clutch it to come to a stop or make a turn and rpms drop to 500/600 the oil pressure will bottom out and kill the car or almost bottom out. Drain plug is good and clean, Oil fitler is good and clean. What would changing the pcv components make the oil pressure so much less than before?

**Feel free to move this to external engine forum if needed. Sorry about that

Last edited by speedmaniac11m; 08-12-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,257 Likes on 2,535 Posts

PCV and oil pressure are unrelated. You might have messed up the sender when messing with the PCV lines.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

with that many miles I would have changed the OPSU as a maintenance item
Old 08-12-2021, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,948 Likes on 1,400 Posts

Well being that the oil pump runs off the crank if the crank quits turning so does the oil pump which lowers your oil pressure. Did the CHECK GAUGES light come on or does it stay on during idle? Did you use the same oil and or brand filter? Perhaps one that was less restrictive which could lead to a change in oil pressure.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Did 3 oil changes. With 3 different filters and 3 different oils. All had the same results.

If you clutch the car coming up to a corner, sometimes the OP drops to 10/15 and sometimes it drops to 0. When it drops to 0 yes check gauges light comes on and it kills the car. Start it right back up and OP is around 30.

Ordered a new GM OPSU. Went to take the old one out and the black sleeve came up with the connector. Inside the connector has been hot and melted. You coukd see melted plastic inside the opsu connection base. Soooo thought the new sender would fix the problem. Nope still same issues.

Going to hook up a manual OP Gauge in place of the sending unit and see what readings i get. Ill post info back once I get this done.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It's kind of a PIA but there are multiple ports along the oil galley where you could fit up an oil pressure gauge to see if pump is not making pressure, or if there is a pressure loss across the filter. Although, I think pump delivery pressure also drops if flow rate increases at constant rpm (indicating something worn out in engine). Need consistent oil temp to compare readings because temp effects viscosity.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 09-03-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Default Update?

Originally Posted by speedmaniac11m
Did 3 oil changes. With 3 different filters and 3 different oils. All had the same results.

If you clutch the car coming up to a corner, sometimes the OP drops to 10/15 and sometimes it drops to 0. When it drops to 0 yes check gauges light comes on and it kills the car. Start it right back up and OP is around 30.

Ordered a new GM OPSU. Went to take the old one out and the black sleeve came up with the connector. Inside the connector has been hot and melted. You coukd see melted plastic inside the opsu connection base. Soooo thought the new sender would fix the problem. Nope still same issues.

Going to hook up a manual OP Gauge in place of the sending unit and see what readings i get. Ill post info back once I get this done.
Did you get this issue resolved? I'm having the same issue and did things you did, LT's, valley cover, and pcv lines.

Quick Reply: PCV and Low Oil Pressure