General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Evap Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Evap Question

Have a heads cam Ls1 car, 2000 f body. Been fine for years, just recently got a p1441 code. It’s been rather cold and I typically don’t drive the car but went to start the car to move it and take it to my shop for a quick tinkering and it seemed to long crank a tad. Car had sat for about 4 weeks so I didn’t think much of it. Set code on the drive there. Deleted it, and it set again today. Most my emissions codes are deleted except that one, so clearly something has gone south recently. I just set that code to no error reported with the laptop but what is the deal?

Is it okay to leave that way or do I have a massive vac leak going on now since the purge solenoid is still connected? I recently changed my injector values etc and retuned my fueling. No issues on starting, but that was when it was 65-70 degrees out and not 35. So I can’t 100% account that to this code, but that’s likely the culprit.
Evap purge is still connected to the intake throat. Can I simply pull that off and put a cap on the intake, then leave it? Or do/can I cut the other line going to the solenoid and put a simple filter on it in the engine bay or is there a more in depth procedure I have to take to fix this?
​​​​​​​
Old 12-08-2021, 12:08 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mstansbury0704
Have a heads cam Ls1 car, 2000 f body. Been fine for years, just recently got a p1441 code. It’s been rather cold and I typically don’t drive the car but went to start the car to move it and take it to my shop for a quick tinkering and it seemed to long crank a tad. Car had sat for about 4 weeks so I didn’t think much of it. Set code on the drive there. Deleted it, and it set again today. Most my emissions codes are deleted except that one, so clearly something has gone south recently. I just set that code to no error reported with the laptop but what is the deal?

Is it okay to leave that way or do I have a massive vac leak going on now since the purge solenoid is still connected? I recently changed my injector values etc and retuned my fueling. No issues on starting, but that was when it was 65-70 degrees out and not 35. So I can’t 100% account that to this code, but that’s likely the culprit.
Evap purge is still connected to the intake throat. Can I simply pull that off and put a cap on the intake, then leave it? Or do/can I cut the other line going to the solenoid and put a simple filter on it in the engine bay or is there a more in depth procedure I have to take to fix this?
The typical fix for this is just to replace the purge solenoid. It doesn't cause a massive vacuum leak or anything, but the PCM is seeing that the purge flow does not match operating conditions.

Quick Reply: Evap Question