General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Draining coolant from engine block

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Draining coolant from engine block

I really want to drain the engine block so I can mix up a coolant/distilled water mixture that I know will withstand our frigid Wyoming winters. If I still lived in Texas I wouldn't worry about just draining the radiator and adding 50/50 coolant to the radiator. But I don't want my engine and radiator to freeze and crack.
So, I have been reading threads about how to drain the engine block, and I read that if you pull the water pump you can use a shop vac to remove the coolant from the engine block. I'd rather not do that. But what about removing the thermostat and using a shop vac to suck the coolant out of the engine block that way?
I have the 17mm hex socket and extensions to take off the bronze drain plug on the driver's side of the engine. But I can't seem to get the hex into the drain plug so I can turn it. I even took off my tire thinking I would have a better shot at it, but no luck. And the drain plug on the passenger's side is AWOL. I can't find it. I've looked at the picture in my Chilton's Manual for my 2002 Camaro Z28, and watched a You Tube of a guy removing it with a 5/16 hex socket, but I still can't find it.
So can I suck the coolant from the block through the thermostat opening? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

The block drain for the right side is behind the starter. It's an 8mm hex plug and is vertical.
BTW, I think you're over thinking this. I've seen some really cold temps all around the world and really don't see a need to actually mix with distilled water. But I also understand the OCD part of it. Drain the radiator, fill with some straight dexcool (hopefully that's what's already in it) and run to mix. Check with a coolant tester. -40 should do you fine. Also it would be good to have heaters installed. In Alaska they have heaters on everything. Oil pans, trans, radiators, etc. It gets a little chilly up there.
The following 2 users liked this post by SAPPER:
Greybeard52 (09-18-2022), wssix99 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great idea !!

Originally Posted by SAPPER
The block drain for the right side is behind the starter. It's an 8mm hex plug and is vertical.
BTW, I think you're over thinking this. I've seen some really cold temps all around the world and really don't see a need to actually mix with distilled water. But I also understand the OCD part of it. Drain the radiator, fill with some straight dexcool (hopefully that's what's already in it) and run to mix. Check with a coolant tester. -40 should do you fine. Also it would be good to have heaters installed. In Alaska they have heaters on everything. Oil pans, trans, radiators, etc. It gets a little chilly up there.
That is a great idea. That is the beauty of Forums. Someone always has the correct answer to the question.😎👍
The following users liked this post:
SAPPER (09-18-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 09:13 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I agree with Sapper. 50/50 will not freeze. The engine block heater is the cold weather accessory that makes these situations better. It should be easy to pop one in, particularly during a coolant change.

As a matter of practice, draining the block is the only way to do a full change. (Half the fluid is in there!) Here's our best thread on how to do that and how to deal with the plugs: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19670393
Greybeard52 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
I agree with Sapper. 50/50 will not freeze.
50/50 Glycol-Water mix is only "safe" down to -34 F
IF you are expecting severe cold, you may have to run 60% Glycol..
The best way to DRAIN the coolant is to remove the brass threaded plug above the oil filter on drivers side.
As noted above, it takes a 17 mm ALLEN (hex) bit, and it'll be damn good n tight.
You'll get a bit of a shower as the plug finally rotates past the last thread.
Good time to INSTALL an engine block heater while you have that plug out.....
Greybeard52 (09-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Draining coolant from engine block