General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vats question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Vats question

Im trying to get my car back on road...I was able to start and drive it last yr (nov) just with jump start.This time around it wont start i replaced battery,, but i had to unlock with key not remote
.I connected new battery and motor cranks but doesnt start,,, i had fuel pump done before i parked it,so im guessing the vats maybe issue.If i disconnect battery does it reset?or the gas level is low but should be enough to start and run.The security light isnt on and ive never had as issue with sytem before,Car is 1999 trans am,,with about 88xxx miles
Old 12-12-2022, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Probably not VATS if the security light isn't on.

Could be old/bad gas, or the new fuel pump could be gummed up from sitting so long with low fuel in the tank (allowing moisture build-up and related ill side-effects). The new pump might also have been faulty or of low quality.

Have you checked for fuel pressure when cranking? Can you hear the pump prime when you turn the key to "run" position?
The following users liked this post:
Nathan C (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Im thinking its bad gas as well,,,i have the car in a small garage/storage unit so its difficult to get around..its going to be a real pain getting it out without it running.Ive havent meesed with it much, i dont want to damage pump ...I may put some fresh gas in and see it if that helps.If not ive have to cal l tow truck....

Old 12-12-2022, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts

You could use the fuel rail to take a fuel sample. I think RPM WS6 is probably right on with the old gas. I am a believer in StarBite or Sta-bil fuel stabilizer. Maybe add 5 gal of fresh fuel and cycle the key 10-20 times to move some fuel through the lines, bleed the fuel schrader valve, cycle the key a couple more times for good measure and try to start the bird up.
Where are you in the Tampa area? PM me if you like, I'm just a little north of Tampa
Old 12-16-2022, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Does the pump actually run? If it was me I'd unhook the fuel filter and jump the pump on and dump out all the old gas in a pan and put fresh gas in the tank. Can you get to it the filter at that storage unit? Seems to be a bit of tight quarters in there especially on the drivers side.

Where I live we have Winter so I always put seafoam in the tank when I park my 95 for the year.
Old 12-16-2022, 02:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
Does the pump actually run?
I asked the same question, but no answer was given.

First thing to do is make sure the pump is priming during "key on" (should be audible), no point in doing anything else until verifying this step. Next step would be to check pressure at the rail during cranking (easy enough to do in the storage unit).

I'm sure the old gas is less than ideal, but no point in worrying about that if the pump isn't operational. So checking on that is step one.

Quick Reply: Vats question