General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My 1998 Camaro Z28 will crank but does not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Summitracing
@HPKing,

We wanted to comment on your thread since your latest purchase is with us.

We can't speak for the pumps you've purchased previously to your order with us. We can tell you that we deal directly with Delphi. The DFP-HP10038 you ordered from us should be as pictured on our site. Our picture also matches the images of the pump on Delphi's site. We confirmed as @RPM WS6 did that this pump is the correct one for your application. RPM WS6 is also correct that this is drop shipped from Delphi so we don't have a way to verify the correct part is in the box before it ships.

We're here to help. If this pump arrives incorrect please let us know. You can either reply to this post or send us a PM. We'll be happy to help!

Hey thanks for commenting on my post! I buy alot of parts from Summit as I have a few hot rods and your customer service is great. I received my fuel pump and posted a few pics above. I confirmed on the invoice that the part number is correct and it looks to be the correct part except for what for what I listed above in the pics.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by HPKing
If you look at the black connector on each pump one has a white nipple and the other does not but has a hole in the top. Is there something that is supposed to go over that hole like the white nipple on the other or is it installed as is? Here are some pics. Any help is appreciated and thanks.
When you say "black connector", are you referring to the wiring harness on the top mounting plate? The female end of that plug has a nipple that needs to be pressed into the hole with the grommet, like your original. Or are you referring to some other part of the module? I can't see any other hole in the pics you posted above.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
When you say "black connector", are you referring to the wiring harness on the top mounting plate? The female end of that plug has a nipple that needs to be pressed into the hole with the grommet, like your original. Or are you referring to some other part of the module? I can't see any other hole in the pics you posted above.
I didnt know what else to call them but here is the white nipple item I was referring to on the factory pump but the same item is black on the Delphi pump but looks different.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I believe that is the in-tank pressure regulator. I think mine also had this nipple going nowhere pointing straight up if I recall with no hose attached on the rear of it. The front routes like this pic. The nipple I believe to be a vent for the back of the diaphragm. #9 in this pic is the regulator. The nipple isn't really shown but I think it's at the rear of the spring as pictured.

Last edited by mk3cn4; 03-21-2024 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mk3cn4
I believe that is the in-tank pressure regulator. I think mine also had this nipple going nowhere pointing straight up if I recall with no hose attached on the rear of it. The front routes like this pic. The nipple I believe to be a vent for the back of the diaphragm. #9 in this pic is the regulator. The nipple isn't really shown but I think it's at the rear of the spring as pictured.

Awesome thanks! Although that diagram looks like the later 2000-2001 Pump
Old 03-21-2024, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Hey is there supposed to be two black rubber gaskets? One that fits on the upper rim of the fuel tank and another that fits just underneath the fuel pump flange?
Old 03-21-2024, 02:54 PM
Teching In

I can attest to how helpful Summit always is, and if anything is ever wrong they always take care of it!

On a side note, I just placed an order with Summit last night. Totally unrelated part, but they've already gotten it shipped and the price was better than anyone else.

Hey is there supposed to be two black rubber gaskets? One that fits on the upper rim of the fuel tank and another that fits just underneath the fuel pump flange?

I am having a hard time getting the upper flange part of the fuel pump to sit flat so I can install and bolt on the upper ring that holds the fuel pump in place.
Old 03-22-2024, 02:37 PM
Teching In

I got my Camaro running again and thanks for all the help guys!
Old 03-22-2024, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I am having a hard time getting the upper flange part of the fuel pump to sit flat so I can install and bolt on the upper ring that holds the fuel pump in place.
I only remember one gasket...did they send you two?

Looks like you have it running now, so I guess the install issue was resolved.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:12 PM
Teching In

I only remember one gasket...did they send you two?

Looks like you have it running now, so I guess the install issue was resolved.
Yes it is running really good now. I did post a question about a red warning light on my dash that has never came on before though. It looks like a coolant level warning light.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Yes it is running really good now. I did post a question about a red warning light on my dash that has never came on before though. It looks like a coolant level warning light.
I replied to your other thread, very common issue there.

I'm wondering about the fitment issue with the fuel pump though - what ended up being the problem with the gasket? I'm just curious in case other's in the future have trouble getting the correct pump/gasket as well...

Quick Reply: My 1998 Camaro Z28 will crank but does not start