General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whats this metallic humming sound in the background?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Whats this metallic humming sound in the background?

The sound is in the background, It's increasing and decreasing only with speed. It does not happen when revving in neutral. In the video it becomes audible at about 60 MPH. I took it on the highway to get back and it has become ALOT worse.. ..now its audible all the time when the wheels are rolling. Not audible when at a dead stop.

Because my car is too low, I've been scraping my exhaust like crazy. It's going to be raised up a bit on Monday but I'm worried I may have damaged something drivetrain related.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

...I think I found out what it might be unfortunately. I forgot the previous shop removed the rear axel not long after they got the car. It had been almost a year ago but the car has been at that shop for that time frame and I only recently got it back.. ..they didnt tighten up the drain plug.. ..I jacked up the rear and sure enough the drain plug was greased with diff fluid and I was able to turn the drain plug by hand.. ..they ruined my Fab 9 MWC Rear End.. ..I am so pissed off.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Wow, hope they make it right.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Wow, hope they make it right.
Nope, They're denying liability even though I have pictures of them with the rear axle removed:

They are saying it leaked out the axle hub bearings which is B.S. .. ..the axle hub bearings did have small leaks but there was no oil on my wheels at all and ontop of that the drain plug was hand tight.
I want to punch the shop owner right now.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (05-22-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Thumbs up

You need to go back down there with some friends, like Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson

Old 05-21-2024, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Time for an attorney or small claims court. If you are 100% positive it was them, get started.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Time for an attorney or small claims court. If you are 100% positive it was them, get started.
Yea I have, attorney wants something in writing from another shop saying it was indeed the drain plug and not the seal. It's currently getting repairs but the new shop is probably trying to wait for me to calm down over the rear axle before he puts anything in writing if he ever does, or doesn't want to get involved in the legal pursuit he knows I'm about to engage in. We also found that the U-Joint bolts were loose and the torque arm mount to the rear axle was also loose. The shaft has alot of resistance when turning by hand with the drive shaft disconnected and car on a lift / wheels unloaded.. ..so I think something is bad in there.. ..we also found oil all over the shaft that connects to the drive shaft from the differential.

They will repair the rear axle and I am prepared to come out of pocket upfront but he seems reluctant to providing me anything in writing so I can be reimbursed.. he hasn't specifically denied it, but just keeps saying 'Okay' and never does it.. ..so I'm not sure how I'm going to get around that... I'm trying not to put too much pressure on the guy because its VERY hard finding a good shop in the Austin area that will still tinker with F-Bodies and is also decently reliable.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-25-2024 at 05:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

What an awful experience. I hope it all works out in the long run.

Quick Reply: Whats this metallic humming sound in the background?