General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How cold is the A/C on a F body supposed to be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Treburkulosis
I am assuming, but I do not know for sure. Previous owner had it done.
Since you stated your thought was the system is overfilled I have a suspicion there is air and a proper vac/fill was not previously performed. Take it to a shop, have it evacuated (then the fill level will be known), vac tested and recharged then report back with results.
The following users liked this post:
Treburkulosis (06-09-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
I bet that there aren’t any “good” compressors made anymore. When I looked up compressors for the ‘98-‘02 F body Four Seasons and other no name brands are pretty much what I found.
Denso and Valeo (OEM) compressors are still available but the typical F body owner is not going to spend $450+ for one.

Treburkulosis (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I would evac the system, pull a long vacuum on it and make sure it holds vacuum. Also check if the orifice tube is clean. Also check that the blend door is actually closed and not letting in any heat from the heater core. On my TA with a new compressor and orifice tube, my vent temps are 41-43°. I did see a old trick where a valve was put inline with the heater hoses to the heater core. The valve is closed in the summer, keeps the heater core from getting hot and bleeding heat to the evaporator
Old 06-09-2024, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I tested mine today in central FL. Sensor at waist height, it registered 101* in the sun, 95* in the shade over a parking lot. Cruising 2000-2500RPM, and using a cooking thermometer with an 8" stem fully inserted into the middle vent. With it on Max, highest blower speed (#4), temp registered was mid-50s. On Max, with the #3 speed, temp was 49-51*. It definitely felt better on #4 although not as cold. I last refurbished the system a few years ago; I don't recall if I chose to be cheap or if it was a supply chain problem, but I chose a non-GM compressor. I normally have the passenger vent shut, and have the other vents directed at the driver.
Old 06-10-2024, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
I would evac the system, pull a long vacuum on it and make sure it holds vacuum. Also check if the orifice tube is clean. Also check that the blend door is actually closed and not letting in any heat from the heater core. On my TA with a new compressor and orifice tube, my vent temps are 41-43°. I did see a old trick where a valve was put inline with the heater hoses to the heater core. The valve is closed in the summer, keeps the heater core from getting hot and bleeding heat to the evaporator
I didn't think about the blend door not closing all the way. I will check that this week.
Old 06-10-2024, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
The car should be precisely as cold as a polar bear's nipples.

If you are still running the original A/C compressor, its probably bad. (Refilling the system and pressurizing it won't fix that.) The seals inside the compressor go bad over time and it will loose efficiency. I changed my compressor a few years ago (after not feeling the cold) and it made a world of difference.
This, I replaced my compressor a few years ago when the original was dropping oil. Its pretty damn cold. Like 40's at the vent, on the digital thermometer. Wife unit complains constantly so I know its working well.
Treburkulosis (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

GM is known for their excellent A/C. So everything on the car was replaced and refilled. It just wasn't cold. I checked it with my gauges and found it slightly over filled. So I got it back down to normal and its cool, it just isn't ice cold. Summer is coming and we are doing car shows. It would be nice to have ice cold A/C. I need to put a thermometer in the vent and see what its showing. Just curious if this is normal or if I am missing something.

Hey bro, I did some testing for ya

Ambient temperature was 70f
Set to Max A/C

AC worked when I bought it but charged it to 1.495 lbs and added 4oz of PAG 150. System was at 50% before the charge.

Blows Ice cold now. Literally.

Last edited by Finkledbody; 06-10-2024 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2024, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

I finally got mine squared away today. It’s too cold to keep on high even in 95% heat. If it’s pointed at my hands it actually hurts…..lol

It started raining which caused a huge temp drop of the road and air…..when that happened I could only keep it in low…..crazy cold.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
Hey bro, I did some testing for ya

Ambient temperature was 70f
Set to Max A/C

AC worked when I bought it but charged it to 1.495 lbs and added 4oz of PAG 150. System was at 50% before the charge.

Blows Ice cold now. Literally.
Thank you for that. I have an appointment with a local shop I have used in the past to get them to take a look at it.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigBoyWS6
I finally got mine squared away today. It’s too cold to keep on high even in 95% heat. If it’s pointed at my hands it actually hurts…..lol

It started raining which caused a huge temp drop of the road and air…..when that happened I could only keep it in low…..crazy cold.
I drove enough Chevys in that era to know GM had the best a/c of the time. My dad has a 02 Silverado work truck and even with close to 350k on it when the compressor locked up was ice cold. I have a feeling it is going to be something stupid. I am going to mess with the blend door today and then I am not going to mess with it. I dont want to take out the compressor and condenser lol.
Old 06-11-2024, 10:58 AM
Launching!

So a little update. My neighbor had a vac and gauges. Mine burnt up in a fire a few years ago, so I sucked down the system and its not leaking. I added oil and 24 oz of freon back into the system. It dropped it to 50* Its 93 outside. A lot better, but still not where I would like it. The blend door was open some so I got that shut. I need to drive it and see how much colder it gets. Its just idling and my reving it up did nothing to change it. I guess the compressor maybe a reman. It didn't say on the paper work I have, it just says it was replaced along with the condenser, all the rubber lines and o rings.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Man, i am chasing a leak somewhere in my AC system. Had it filled about a week ago. Blew cold for a few days... It is 25 y/o so, looks like i'll follow suit of some of you guys and replace entire system. It's important especially here in E.TX! and my car is a Black hard top....
Treburkulosis (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 04:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
Man, i am chasing a leak somewhere in my AC system. Had it filled about a week ago. Blew cold for a few days... It is 25 y/o so, looks like i'll follow suit of some of you guys and replace entire system. It's important especially here in E.TX! and my car is a Black hard top....
It is. Like said above I suspect my compressor isn't a quality one. I should know more tomorrow on if it drops any on a drive when I take it to a show.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

My compressor crapped out a couple years ago. The 134 was leaking through the case.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wannafbody
My compressor crapped out a couple years ago. The 134 was leaking through the case.
What did you replace it with?
Old 06-13-2024, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

What did you replace it with?
A shop installed a new one.
Old 06-13-2024, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Not a comparison by any stretch but in the DFW today my car was telling me it was 100 on the toll way driving home from work and it's AC was struggling hard core (2016 Nissan Sentra 4 banger sedan) and the only way it could keep up was if I had the AC on Max setting and above 2k RPM. For the 45-55 min drive home I don't think the car ever got below 75 degrees, its dark blue, just another wonderful Texas summer.
Treburkulosis (06-14-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Im going to throw something else out there for you to consider especially if you are just buying this car. You are used to modern AC systems of the last 20 years that will blow cold cold. That car is a product of the early 90's 134A systems and they were only fair at best when working perfectly. Around town they are only eh especially in traffic.
Tint the ttops and black out all the windows. They blow cool but it will take 45 minutes to an hour of straight highway to really start getting comfortable.

MAke sure the charge is weighed in they are very touchy on TXV systems and make damm sure all of the plastics around the condenser are in place and the lower air damm all of that stuff that looks like crap is very important to AC performance in town and on the road.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jybravo70
Not a comparison by any stretch but in the DFW today my car was telling me it was 100 on the toll way driving home from work and it's AC was struggling hard core (2016 Nissan Sentra 4 banger sedan) and the only way it could keep up was if I had the AC on Max setting and above 2k RPM. For the 45-55 min drive home I don't think the car ever got below 75 degrees, its dark blue, just another wonderful Texas summer.
My wifes 21 Jeep Cherokee L struggles bad. Now my 19 Flex doesn't. Its weird. I took it out yesterday and it was a lot more comfortable after the recharge. I can definitely live with it now.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Im going to throw something else out there for you to consider especially if you are just buying this car. You are used to modern AC systems of the last 20 years that will blow cold cold. That car is a product of the early 90's 134A systems and they were only fair at best when working perfectly. Around town they are only eh especially in traffic.
Tint the ttops and black out all the windows. They blow cool but it will take 45 minutes to an hour of straight highway to really start getting comfortable.

MAke sure the charge is weighed in they are very touchy on TXV systems and make damm sure all of the plastics around the condenser are in place and the lower air damm all of that stuff that looks like crap is very important to AC performance in town and on the road.
T tops are tinted dark and so are the windows. I checked everything again air damn etc yesterday and its all there and in great shape. I took it out yesterday and it was a lot better. I do forget its not new anymore. AC systems are constantly advancing.

Quick Reply: How cold is the A/C on a F body supposed to be?