General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02 TA starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2024 | 01:26 AM

Default 02 TA starting issue

New to forum.. have 02 TA WS6 one owner30k miles. Having a starting issue for about the last year when I turn the key in the start position all the auxiliary lights come on, but nothing happens no crank or anything. This is a random issue. Some days it starts right up. Security light is not flashing and it is not the key chip. Anyone else had this issue or could give me some thoughts what it may be. Thinking maybe starter or crank shaft sensor.
Old 09-10-2024 | 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

do you have a spare key? Have you tried that? I know you said its not a security issue or key issue, but its worth a try.
Old 09-10-2024 | 10:43 AM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

I had a similar issue with my v6, for me it it was the main + battery terminal had corroded under the red cap. So it couldn't feed the starter enough juice to acute.

My quick fix whenever i had the issue was to wiggle the harness, but i eventually did a trunk battery and redid all the power wiring.

If you don't wanna take it that far look inlo "the big 3" mod it's replacing all 3 of the main battery cables with new and thicker gauge.

I think ws6 store sells a kit now?
Old 09-10-2024 | 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Wouldn't be a crank sensor problem, the starter would still engage and crank the engine over. Sound like more of a VATS security issue.
Old 09-10-2024 | 11:44 AM

Yes, I’ve used my spare key and same issue. Also replace the battery..
Old 09-10-2024 | 03:46 PM
Launching!

I would check the starter relay in fuse block #2 under the hood before going deeper into the problem. The schematics below are from the 2000 Service Manual, but they should be the same as 2002.

The following users liked this post:
02BlueBird! (09-14-2024)
Old 09-10-2024 | 04:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

^ Good advice from peterpar above.

This is not a typical problem that would be solved by the "big 3" or any other wiring upgrade. The factory wiring is more than adequate to get reliable starts from a stock vehicle. Something has come loose/corroded (poor connection, poor ground), or something is failing (relay, starter, etc). Might be VATS but that's less likely based on the low mileage and no security light being illuminated.
Old 09-10-2024 | 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

I had a random non starting issue. My mechanic thought it might be the ignition switch. The dealer figured out it was an intermittent starter relay. I keep one in the glove box if the issue happens again.
Old 09-10-2024 | 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

To be clear I wasn't suggesting the big 3 would fix his issue. Just an upgrade as an alternative to replacing the main harness with an OE from a junkyard. I was suggesting wires that come together in the main positive terminal could be corroded underneath the red sheath. Replacing a battery wouldn't address this issue. It's the intermittent part that makes me think corrosion is the culprit, since it seems to only effect the starter the most likely areas of failure in the event of corrosion is the main terminal where the starter wire joins the other wires or at the starter itself. Poor grounding could also contribute, but other parts of the system would likely be acting up.

The downside to this is the corrosion would be underneath the shielding and not visible so identifying it is potentially destructive. You could try making a jumper of similar guage wire to bypass the stock wire off the battery directly to the starter if you don't want to tear into the stock battery harness.
Old 09-14-2024 | 02:37 AM

Appreciate the diagrams. Bought new starter relay replacing tomorrow🙏🏻that’s issue. Been reading my car Manuel too.. does say if continually turning key in run position for more then 15 seconds will burn starter, which I have probably done getting 🤬she wouldn’t start. Like I said been going on about a year randomly starting. Thanx for info.
The following users liked this post:
Treburkulosis (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024 | 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02BlueBird!
Appreciate the diagrams. Bought new starter relay replacing tomorrow🙏🏻that’s issue. Been reading my car Manuel too.. does say if continually turning key in run position for more then 15 seconds will burn starter, which I have probably done getting 🤬she wouldn’t start. Like I said been going on about a year randomly starting. Thanx for info.
Mine has 70k and the vats went nuts on it. Hopefully its just the starter relay, but keep the VATs in the back of your mind as an issue.

Quick Reply: 02 TA starting issue