General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

burnt wire= fouled plugs??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burnt wire= fouled plugs??

if you burn a wire does it usually foul the plugs? i burnt a wire on the header, and the car was missfiring, so i replaced the wires but kept the old plugs (mechanic did, he said they were fouled) now it is still missfiring with the new wires, he told me to change the plugs on that side, is this the culprit most likley. thx
Old 08-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its always a good idea to change the plugs when you change the wires anyways(less hassle doing it all once), but a burnt wire wouldn't really cause the plug to be damaged....you might just need new plugs and wires anyways
Old 08-16-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, it would cause the plug to be fouled in some cases. Often times, when a sparkplug doesnt fire, it collects the fuel residue(mist) on the spark plug and it becomes soaked to where it will not allow spark to cross. Just because it isnt getting spark doesnt mean that the fuel wont quit coming. The fuell will continue coming regardless of the presence of spark and it will soak the plug if its missfiring often enough. pull the plug, get a fine grit sand paper, and lightly clean the tip off. You can also hold a lighter up to the tip and porcelin parts and burn off any excess fuel. Best bet is to bypass both of the previous bootlegging options and just purchase a new sparkplug for every cylinder that was misfiring previously and currently.