General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

96 LT1 TA not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 96 LT1 TA

Just purchase the car. My first LT1. Car has 71,000 miles, stock as a rock. Previous owner said that it started making a "funny" noise, lost power and wouldnt run.
Motor will turn over and tries to start but burps, chokes and spits. Hold the gas on the floor and it just gets worse.
Vats fuse and low oil pressure are suggestions that have been offered.
Seems that the car has an after market alarm that may be screwing with the VATS fuse system?
Also found out that if the oil pump took a dump that there is some kind of low pressure switch that wont allow the car to run?
Dont know if there is any damage internally.
I am going to drain oil and cut the oil filter open to see if there is any metal.
Please help!!!!
Any suggestion will be most helpful.
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it could be opti spark (distributor). Maybe the coil. Check for spark and see if you get anything. Sounds like igntion to me, but I'm not an expert either.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone worked on it before you to try and get it running? or did it die and its been sitting til you came along
Old 08-16-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no low oil pressure trigger that wont allow the car to run with low oil pressure. Are you throwing any SES codes...go to autozone and have ti scanned for free if you dont have the equipment and the car is throwing a code. check the plugs and make sure they arent soaked in fuel. My TA had the same symptoms(blurbled when trying to start it and even worse when giving it gas) and the motor was just flooded because the dealership didnt know how to make the car idle and so they flooded it. I pulled off the injectors clips at the dealership, turned the motor over and over for about 15 seconds intervals and finally she fired up for a second then died. I put the injector clips back on, turned the ignition and it started right up but spit and popped for a little while till all the excess fuel burned off.