General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1problem

I was passing a car today, downshifted to third.

then the car freaking dies...well sputters then dies.

It will turn over and then will suptter and die, I have spark, the fuel pump works and I had gas, what could it be?
Old 08-26-2004, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

are you checking the fuel pressure or just listening for it when you turn the key on . i would suggest putting a gauge on it and see what it shows.

also check the fuel filter.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Optispark maybe?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLVRZLS1
Optispark maybe?

DUH DUH DUUUUHHHH!

**Young woman screams in background**
Old 08-26-2004, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

I thought optisparks gave some sort of warning before they went out?

Mine car just died out of the blue and its acting like its timing is off, could the icm be fried?

It better not be the opti...
Old 08-26-2004, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

yeah..my opti spark gave me advanced warning.

I backed out to goto work..it was running a lil choppy. Idle Smoothed out..sounded like it was running perfect! (thats when I realized something wasnt right). I made it forward about 2 feet back into my driveway and ended up pushing it the rest of the way. Just like that.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

I got the code its throwing, its code P0100, Maf insufficent, but that wouldn't keep the car from running would It, If I disconnect it. It should run in speed ddensity mode...
wtf?!

P.S. thats the only code its throwing..
Old 09-05-2004, 04:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I dont know about this whole disconnected maf thing. If i inplug mine the car wont start,refuses to run. Sounds like you need to swap one out with someone and test it. Im not sure what that code means exactly, but I would try to swap a different maf in there.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes if you lost the MAF by disconecting it she will go into MAP mode and run

While you are at it see if the bellows pulled off the TB.

Back when I had a blower on the car I would blow a hose about once a week. I was running 14Psi. Just like you said yours did the car would die and I would have to coast to the side of the road. It would not restart untill found the hose that blew off and fix it.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2004, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

all the hoses are in the right places... the opti throws a code when its fucked doesn't it? maybe I broke my timing chain?
Old 09-06-2004, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

My opti gave very little warning. It misfired/backfired every once in a while, but then one day I floored it and it sounded as if my driveshaft exploded. It continued to crackle up until I took the key out. Then it would not restart. I had it towed to the shop (Don Lee in Rancho Cucamonga). I only threw a TPS and Fan code (no opti-anything). After changing the TPS and ICM with no help we figured it had to be the Opti. When they got it off it rattled like a toy. We took it apart and wow. The screws had backed completely out and come off the rotating arm. The plastic dowel pin on the arm had also broken off.

You can see that it was taking itself apart from the inside. We did not unscrew the rotating arm; it was off hanging on its own. Out of control.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by a5150ward
My opti gave very little warning. It misfired/backfired every once in a while, but then one day I floored it and it sounded as if my driveshaft exploded. It continued to crackle up until I took the key out. Then it would not restart. I had it towed to the shop (Don Lee in Rancho Cucamonga). I only threw a TPS and Fan code (no opti-anything). After changing the TPS and ICM with no help we figured it had to be the Opti. When they got it off it rattled like a toy. We took it apart and wow. The screws had backed completely out and come off the rotating arm. The plastic dowel pin on the arm had also broken off.

You can see that it was taking itself apart from the inside. We did not unscrew the rotating arm; it was off hanging on its own. Out of control.
my rotor came off mine while i was at ed wrights dyno tunning my car. and it happened at 5500 imangine what that sounded like. also let me add the opti was less then 1 months old the new one i took apart and locktighted the screws in and then installed