General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

"Check gauges" light at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default "Check gauges" light at WOT

Ive been chasing this lil bug for a while now but whenever I hit WOT in any gearor at any speed, my dash lights up with the "Check Guages" light. The only gauge that fluxuates is the voltage meter and for some reason, it drops to about 9 volts at WOT. Im thinking that its a ground problem. The alternator shouldnt be the problem since its done this with 3 different alternators. The car has no loss of power or anything like that, its just kind of odd that my volts drop like they do at WOT, when it should be making the most volts. Any ideas. Ill also work on getting a short video of it to show you exactly what Im talking about but I dont think Ill be able to get a good video until dark. Thanks for any input!

Bo
Old 11-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea the light will pop on if the volts drop, but why they are dropping at WOT I dunno.

Is it on the entire time your at WOT? Or only at peak RPM before the shift?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brandboZ28
Ive been chasing this lil bug for a while now but whenever I hit WOT in any gearor at any speed, my dash lights up with the "Check Guages" light. The only gauge that fluxuates is the voltage meter and for some reason, it drops to about 9 volts at WOT. Im thinking that its a ground problem. The alternator shouldnt be the problem since its done this with 3 different alternators. The car has no loss of power or anything like that, its just kind of odd that my volts drop like they do at WOT, when it should be making the most volts. Any ideas. Ill also work on getting a short video of it to show you exactly what Im talking about but I dont think Ill be able to get a good video until dark. Thanks for any input!

Bo
Maybe some belt slippage?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like belt slip to me bo. Replaced your tensioner recently?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Good idea!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tensioner is relatively new, 8-10k miles. Belt is less that 5k miles old. The light is on the whole time I am at WOT. I actually thought at first the light was on because I rev my car past the stock redline but after further investigation, its on the whole time, not just up past 5500rpm. Ill check into the tensioner. It was an aftermarket piece that didnt look near as good as the stock piece that I replaced. That could be it. Are there any other possibilities? Thanks for your help guys!!!

Bo
Old 11-17-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your cars gonna blow up if you keep it up

jk, id check all your grounds and the connections on the terminals from all the major electrical parts like the batt, alt, and make sure your gauge signal wire is not corroded
Old 11-18-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

also watch your oil pressure make sure thats not whats dropping
Old 11-18-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oil pressure is awesome. Melling(10% more volume) pump is 2k miles old and pumpin oil like a freak!